watching on helplessly

camerashy

Agree with a lot of posts, people not used to handling money piss it away and crash and burn. However, can remember when I did the same thing in college.
I sometimes look at things the same way. As Thai culture has become more relaxed, in practice, about certain things, Thai BGs sort of remind me of myself in college. But they have two things working against them.

First, my higher income days were ahead of me. The opposite is true of BGs. With age comes maturity (at least that is how I look at things on the wrong side of 40), but by the time that maturity comes (if it does) most BGs have lost most of their earning capacity.

Second, Thai culture. She may actually pick up some good values based on her dealings with farangs (or some bad ones), but if she lives here, it will be almost impossible for her not to share her wealth.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have friends who have tried very hard to get their live-in GFs (beer-bar background) to do proper money management with allowances. It's a real battle, even with offers to match all savings and things that look generous by western standards. And these are beer-bar level girls who haven't had income spikes like some of the dancers.

Seems the one thing they can't get past is the family. Even if they hold the friends spending down and do only a karaoke night out at a shack place or some other inexpensive entertainment, if they've got the baby at home and/or the family, it's hard to save. And the family can expand if the earnings do!

camerashy said >But I guess that a certain percentage never consider this, and descend into alcoholism or even drug addiction. I think I'm seeing the start of this with Tip, but feel helpless to do anything about it. Pity, because she was a fun, beautiful girl. <

Reminds me of a girl from a popular go-go in Bkk who I first barfined 4years ago (when unbeknown to me she was just 17) and I was possibly one of her first customers. We became good friends and would meet up 2 or 3 times a year on my visits to Los.

It was a couple of years later, when taking her long time as usual, I told her I had forgotten her age and she replied she was now 18 (the same as she said the first time we met). She admitted she was only just 17 when we first met.

However she remained the same sweet shy girl I had met but the next time I visited her go-go she now was popular with the japanese commanding 4000bt short times. Now out of my league, when in town I would still visit her bar to see her and meet up with her for chats. Two years ago I was disappointed to find she no longer worked there having gone abroad. Fair enough I was pleased for her she was such a nice girl.

Last year when I stopped by her bar to my surprise she was back. When I caught her eye she recognised me and was all over me kissing and hugging me totally different to the shy young girl I knew before. 'Was this the same girl?' I had to say to myself but I put it down to her being drunk as her lady drinks were now tequilas not the orange juices of the past.

Thinking there was no chance of b/f her in a barful of japs I was surprised when she asked to go long time with me -out of character yet again. I wasn't going to miss out!

Without going into detail back at my hotel she was so different to before. Breaking into tears she confessed she was on Yaa-baa, a few frantic phone calls back and forth and now she was wanting to leave to go back to the bar. No problem there! She left in a hurry leaving her coat asking for nothing except saying how sorry she was.

Curious I watched from the hotel room window to see her leave only to see her with what I would suggest was her thai dealer or boyfriend before summoning a taxi together. Not the sort of thai guy you would like to meet in an alley.

IMHO some of these girls are targetted because they have the income and earning power and, like you, I could only watch on helplessly. How Sad I was to see this happen to such a nice girl who became so vunerable.

But I guess many of you have similar tales.

BG's saving money? This would be the logical thing to do, but I would guess that if one in a hundred actually do this, it would be just about right.

I have been around the BGs for almost 20 years now and only two of the girls I have know actually had a plan (out of say 1000 or so).

One actually did retire to the North, bought 5 rai, planted fruit trees and moved "pawmaedek" there. Also bought a pickup to get stuff to market and had a cash reserve.

One other one I know is still in the business and has been buying land for her family, but in her name .. in addition to sendind money home for support.

Most save very little.. it seems to follow the old American tradition of spend what you make (or perhaps a bit more).

One thing about Thailand is that planning just does not have much of a place there. Planning involves the future and one of the nice things about the Thai's is that they very much live in the present.

For most Thai bargirls, their retirement plan is having a daughter. This will provide the steady stream of girls for us to nibble on until we reach our great reward.

Archived