Ono: Paul Can't Sing

Torneyboy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pattaya127 said:

again, not nagging at Sir paul's songwriting abilities, but:

1) except for 2, all the songs you cite are Beatles period. I mean, John (George too, not long though), wrote songs afterwards that can easily top, for many, the ones he wrote with the Beatles.

2) If I am correct, each one (save Ringo ::) sang the songs they wrote. "She loves you" (my fav') and "ticket to ride", are John's.

2) Nah, you're not correct on "She loves you". As all Beatle fanatics will tell you, most of the early songs like "She loves you", "I want to hold your hand", etc, were true joint efforts, written by John and Paul together facing each other on the guitar. For example, "She loves you" was written by them together in a hotel room in Newcastle. (Hey, never argue with a Beatles fanatic! :))

"Ticket to Ride" was pretty much a John song, yes, but the reason I mention it was because Paul's credited with thinking of the fantastic unusual drum rhythmn, which is so much a part of the song. "We can work it out" is half a Paul tune combined with a John one to make more than the sum of the parts. They improved each others' songs so much that way even later on when they were mostly writing alone.

1) Yes, he wrote them in his peak years, when he was with the Beatles and had other great songwriters around him. So did the rest. John's solo work didn't come close to surpassing the work he did with the Beatles (and even early solo work like Jealous Guy was conceived while he was still with them. Some are even "Lennon/McCartney" credits). George didn't really improve on "Something" or "Here comes the sun" either. I mean, "My Sweet Lord" was good until you listen to the Chiffon's "He's so fine" and realise what a copy it was (indeed, he got sued for it and had to pay up).

Basically, none of them were as good as the Beatles and the Beatles combined to make much more than the sum of the parts.

sayjann said:

sorry Bibbs but you have just maintained my view that Macca was crap.....

so many of those those you mentioned are so crap.......... :grinyes:

'The last three especially destroy the myth that Paul couldn't do meaningful beautiful lyrics'

so what's your excuse for the Frog Song?........... :yikes:

You're probably more rock than pop, right? Then listen to "I'm Down" (a song which only the Beatles could casually chuck away onto the B-side of Help!) Written and sung by Paul, tell me he couldn't do what Lennon did when he wanted to. And even Lennon liked some of Paul's post-Beatle work, like "Coming up" and most of the "Band on the run" album.

I'm tired of what a cliched argument the Lennon/McCartney thing has become. It's just not true. Lennon wrote a ton of soppy and kitschy stuff to rival McCartney (e.g. Julia, Goodnight, Beautiful Boy, Woman, Being for the benefit of Mr Kite, Glass Onion) but he just isn't as well known for it by casual observers. Conversely, McCartney wrote more rock stuff (Helter Skelter, I'm Down, Why don't we do it in the road, etc) and could sing it as well as anyone (Long Tall Sally, Lady Madonna, etc) but it's conveniently forgotten by people who just want to polarise things.

Imo, they were equally good in the Beatles. (And I even liked the Frog Chorus! (Though not the video) :o I dare say John would have written something like that for his kid, like he did for Julian in "Goodnight". )

So, you should have credited both under every title you named, no?

I liked John a lot better because his voice had the guts of his own torments, sould searching and emotional struggles (plus the ability to bear his soul with one sentence), which his 2nd carreer allowed with maturity to be expressed. paul, which is a fine musician, never had anything deep to say about anything, at least not more than 1000s out there. Little birds, love, scenettes, very crafty, thanks for sharing... ::

Basically Paul made everything work around tunefulness, plus the odd blues cry imitation, but somehow, for me, the sound of John's voice has meaning as soon as he opens it. And i think he got some real cool producers to assist with sound sticking so well with the artistry of his 2 first albums. Jim keltner is my all time favorite drummer. Now, this guy knew how to "thump".....

In a nutshell, for me, Pauls sings, John feels.

if Lyrics were to be added to Mozarts Music then who would you choose to write them

----------------------------------

no one, for Godsake. Opera is not my forte in classical music, so i like rather the non-vocal compos.

think too, that 99% of lyrics in rock fit a 4/4 rythm, with off beat syncopation for reggae, very simple, a formula, except for few artists who can go beyond that formula in musical terms.

BTW, Mozart is Keith Richards's fav' classical musician. I like Keith, he knows a lot, and i need someone to talk to, when the great nuclear winter falls on earth. Cock roaches are fun, but no great conversationnalists! :D

and Lennon also had precognative powers........

he wrote In My Life many Years before the song describes the greatest love of my Life (Falang)......... :(

and Jealous Guy definately describes me when in Thailand and with my #1 Girl.

i hated it if anyone looked at her let alone talked to her....... :onfire:

we loved each other but we fucked with each others minds and we both shed many tears.

Lennon is a Genius for writing the 2 Songs above........ :up:

Imo, they were equally good in the Beatles.

----------------------------------------------

that's nailing it right! Absolutely right!

Though i wouldn't be too far to add Sir John Martin to this genius duo.

for paul and John, it has to do with our own sensibilities, I do not think it's about P being able to do what J did, and vice-versa. We also tend to confuse the men with the artistry. I probably would get along better with Paul, on a daily basis. Of all, I think george was the better man, truly.

Archived