Land prices in Thailand -- Disney Rumours?

asiafun

Nope, not trying to make a quick buck. Not trying to speculate on the real estate market I am just trying to get a fair price for undeveloped property for my own needs.

Just trying to get an idea of what property values are in the Pattaya area right now. Does anyone have numbers? I just need numbers for price per sq/m for land that does not have buidling on it in Pattaya city, a few km's to the east of Pattaya and in the Jom Tien area.

As far as Disney goes I think I have figured out what that mess is really all about.

Some ballpark figures:

Pattaya City: 3rd road area - probably about 20-50,000 baht per sq wah (4sq m) - If and its a very big if you can find a piece for sale that is that small.

Towards the beach area, very very difficult to find anything for sale at any price - nobody is selling - it tends to be leased only.

Out in East Pattaya, say within 5km of Sukhumvit Road around 10,000 baht for a sq wah. Further out can go as low as 1,000 baht a sq wah if its on an unmade road and no electric - however virtually nothing that size - you would normally have to buy about 5 rai (2400 sq wah) upwards.

Similar prices for Jomtien.

I am with CB on this one. No way in hell Disney would build in Thailand. Just look at their past endevours. All middle class mature economies (US, Japan, France, HK, etc.). They price them selves at the top of the market and depend upon local people (well, local to the country/area) to make their numbers, not long haul tourists.

If they were to build in SE Asia, Singapore would be the pick, but why do so when HK is so close? Can't see China either because HK *is* China.

Cheers,

SD

I agree - its not going to be Disney - they have enough problems of their own before contemplating another theme park, however I would not rule out the possibility of somebody doing it. Not sure where Universal is these days but they might be a contender or alternatively the company that owns the Genting Highlands resort or even Sun whats there name from South Africa who own pretty much all of Paradise Island in the Bahamas. The scenario could be seriously worth considering. Discount for the moment the local population, but for a theme park to do well, it needs a strong infrasrtucture around it. Disney in the US has to a degree built their own, but in Paris, they fell foul of the location - middle of knowhere with nothing else to keep people there. Therefore they have a huge problem getting people to stay more a weekend, plus the weather sucks - it must be the worse region of France for rain. So, you need somewhere with good weather, OK eastern Seaboard fits, good access, well its got that and its getting better, beaches (OK pattaya is crap but it is a beach of sorts). Airport access - well hows 40 minutes sound and flights from every major departure point in the world coming straight into the new airport. Pattaya already has large existing hotel base.

If anybody does it, it would end up somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard given its tax incentives for BOI companies to set up there - no special permission needed - the rules are already in place and set. This is of course working on the assumption that political interferance would not play a part - which of course it would but on the commercial reasons alone, it could be attractive to one of the park developers. Plus the Asean rules allow for populations of Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Philipines etc to visit visa free. Ultimately however the reason it could do well, is purely on margin of earnings. Staffing costs are tiny, yet the product could charge western prices. Disney got screwed in France for exactly that reason - its expensive and so are its costs. Thailand would not have the same problems, plus its an already accepted tourist destination.

"Thais don'r seem ro rent or pay the same prices as foreigners do."

Strongly disagree with this. Foreigners do in most cases get a fair price. The real difference is the Farangs tend to want to stay in certain areas with are expensive. If they live in a thai area they will get a thai price.

I think Thailand is a great investment place and have bought here and will continue to buy more. Cheap labour to fix it up!!! No community /council taxes. No capital gains tax. Just an initial sales /business tax and stamp duty which runs at about 5% depending on the contract.

As long as you stick to areas which will probably continue to be popular areas ( BTS/Underground/Sukumvit/CBD/River) you will most certainly have a winning investment.

Archived