Bank account in BKK

t-ride

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jai-dee: great but I dont have an address in Thailand otherwise the services offered are quite interesting :)

Emmit: Obviously not, read carefully please :)

I want 2 separate bank accounts under MY name with an ATM card on each of them.

One account will be used only by me with a fair amount of money on it that I will use during my trips there AND I will transfer some money every month from this account to the 2nd one (for the tgf).

"Why don't you just get a saving account with an ATM card in your own country and give that card to her?"

First, for most cards there are charges, and they are typically not a percentage of the amount withdrawn, but there is a minimum charge, often about 150 B per withdrawal. It doesn't make sense to withdraw 300 or 500 B if you have to pay this kind of charges, but several hundred Baht is the amount a TG would normally withdraw. I would not recommend my GF to withdraw 20000 B every time to save charges.

Second, with an ATM card from your home country it can be possible to withdraw money even if the account is empty. It may not be much (maybe 1000 B) but I am sure your TG would learn this very quickly.

Actually, its not my girlfriend but a woman in Chiang Mai that I buy furniture and handicrafts from. She does take out 20,000 baht at a time and the charge is $1.50 per transaction. She receives a print out on each transaction and on it is the amount remaining in the savings account. This has only been since August but I haven't had any problems yet.

Archived