US civil rights icon Rosa Parks dies at 92

I've always found the role of Finland to Russia very complex, Didn;t realise that UK and France would support Finland against Russia in WW2

I've walked from north of Narvik, across the top of Sweden and into Finland following the trainline, very boring territory, first time I found out that northern regions aren't always pretty.

How did the swedes get the ball bearings to UK?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nervous_Dog said: Didn;t realise that UK and France would support Finland against Russia in WW2

Don't forget that Stalin went into WWII as Hitler's ally. When Hitler attacked Poland from the west, the USSR attacked from the east. And even after Hitler turned on him, Stalin was determined to keep his gains from his war against Poland -- and did.

Presumably. But Hitler had not planned on war for many years to come. He was not ready in 1939, and the British and French declarations of war took him totally by surprise.

Hitler is quoted as once saying, "Stalin and I understand each other. The only thing we want is power."

p.s. Ever seen those photos of German and Soviet soldiers grinning, shaking hands and swapping cigarettes after their joint conquest of Poland? They look just like the photos of the Americans meeting the Soviets on the Elbe in 1945!

He was not ready in 1939, and the British and French declarations of war took him totally by surprise.

------------------------------------------

neither were we!!! So, we all waited another year, wherein "he" proceeded to wipe our ass off in about as fast as you can say it :(.

p.s. Ever seen those photos of German and Soviet soldiers grinning, shaking hands and swapping cigarettes after their joint conquest of Poland?

---------------------------------------

2 regime masters of propaganda at work. I bet more than a few soviet generals and officers got purged subsequently, lest they acquired too much credit for their facile victories (Poles were still fighting on horses, if i recall)

Archived