Whats your definition of a "Newbie"?

STDAY3

Just wondered what a 'Newbie' is on this board

I have been visiting Thailand for 29 years now, at one point lived there for 11 years, been reading this board for about 3 - 4 years and have now been a member for 18 months.

However I was referred to as a Newbie in another thread and wondered what I have to do to stop being a "Newbie".

I can only imagine it is because I have only made a few posts as I do not feel the need to run around the board commenting on everything everyone says.

Whats your definition?

Tks

Ste

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the term means much really. Some people lurk for a while without posting. They could have lived in Thailand for ages. I guess to me it means a new board member unless otherwise specified. New members are often better informed on certain subjects than old ones. :)

I just did a bit of research and I see the term 'Newbie' was used by me, yikes, in the thread about Stickman (see post # 445510). And further research indicates that you may have regarded the use of said term as in some way perjorative or suggesting negative connotations. Please accept my assurances that it was not intended as a personal comment addressed to you or anybody else in particular. It was simply a feeble attempt to head off yet another 'Is Stickman a hypocrite' debate. I don't think I could live through another one of those. :)

Being new to Thailand and its pleasures is my definition of a newbie. Being new to this board or having a low post count can be a disadvantage and can get the troll police responding.

The fact that so many of us have quite different experiences & expectations is what I like about this board. Everyones an expert on their own experience and as I've said before I enjoy reading posts good, bad or indifferant, I'll decide for myself what is useful, interesting or meaningless.

I hope you are not deterred from making your contribution.

JP

Whats your definition?

a) Someone who has better things to do in life than learn the entire history of Thailand, learn the lingo and develop a complete understanding of any cultural differences - JUST FOR A F#CKING 2 WEEK HOLIDAY :D :D :D

B) Someone who does not spend 24/7 on Thai Nightlife Message boards when not in Thailand. :o

c) Someone who does not really give a s#it whether the gal he is sticking his c#ck in comes from NE Thailand, NW Thailand or SE Timbuck-f#cking-too. :D

Hope this helps a bit :o

Thanks.

This is an excellent site and is what I would refer to as "Informative" because it ecompasses so many different experiences and opinions".

I must admit though (and probably others may feel the same way) that I have been deterred from making posts over the years, because certain members go out of thier way just to make life miserable for others by attacking their posts.

eg. I once got into a discussion about Bahrain in another thread. I could have offered a lot of information that may have been useful. I just stopped in my tracks because I could not be arsed arguing with people who were determined to undermine my posts rather than accept that somebody may have more information/experience than they have.

Some of the contributions by others and their experiences have opened my eyes. Out of all the time I had been visiting Thailand, until I started reading this board, I thought I knew everything, until I realised I knew shit.

Some though will never accept that.

This is an excellent site and is what I would refer to as "Informative" because it ecompasses so many different experiences and opinions".

I must admit though (and probably others may feel the same way) that I have been deterred from making posts over the years, because certain members go out of thier way just to make life miserable for others by attacking their posts.

That's just life though don't you think? I mean you can't just approach some group in a pub and start telling them how you feel about the landlord or the kind of beer they serve or juvenile crime or something....without expecting a bit of resistance from people who've been there years. And always in any group you get people expounding their versions and not listening to anything other people say.

Newb...er new posters come on all the time asking questions about things that have been covered many times before. People don't always feel like politely directing them to do a bit of research. So best to say nothing sometimes.

I don't like it when new posters get shot down or made fun of but it doesn't happen much here. If it does somebody usually sticks up for them. Who cares about a few grumpy buggers anyway? Let them wallow in their own misery.

For sure some people like posting more than others. I'm one. I'm quite shy really but I can be a real big mouth on a message board. I don't like to feel inhibited. And sometimes I regret making a particular smartass post but I just see it as part of the message board learning process. Ultimately I don't think anybody really gives a toss as long as we stay within the board rules.

The internet is a verbal minefield. The whole process of typing in anonymous crap makes for lots of misunderstandings. You need sensitivity and a thick skin. If that's not a contradiction in terms.

Things annoy me too. I was sorry to see the thread on mia noi disappear just because somebody turned it into an 'age of consent' issue. But that stuff happens all the time. Cheers.. CW

STDay3,

Listen to CHuckwoww for once, he doesn't seem to know shit (looking at his # of posts see... he's a newbie compared to me) but summed it up perfectly in the above reply. :)

As you said, been here for years, few posts, know the members, know what's being discussed ... and frankly, who cares who or what you are. This is a cyberworld and you're primarily judged on what you write. The rest are just little distractions one should not worry about nor give importance to.

It's info, experience, answers people want to read about.

Don't be afraid to speak, say what you have to say, explain why, disagree with others... unless you don't enjoy having (civilized) discussions onboard which is also part of this community.

ST - your not a newbie in regards to Thailand, but in Cyberland you are as they count your experience in the number of posts.

Hence, a person whose still sitting at happen wanking over Nigel website but posts every day about thailand is a old hand, and someone whose been here doing the dirtiest deeds, living, working etc, but post for the first time on nanaplaza - newbie.

Was a poll about this a while ago and you can guess which way I voted!

DOG

Archived