Windows Me: No Thai keyboard!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old Hippie, maybe I can help. But I'm not understanding what you've done so far. Also what version of Win98 and Internet Explorer do you have? Did you do this...?

1) Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

2) Click the "Product Updates" link. Wait while the catalog utility loads and then your choice fo downloads appears.

3) Look in the "Additional Windows Features" section for Thai Language Support. Select it, click Download, etc.

Okay, does it work? If not, exactly where does it break and what does it say?

Language Support packs, as I understand them, give you a few fonts [and install them] as well as tweaking the registry settings of IE language selector so the language can be recognized and displyed properly. This should include the language code page, too.

First, thank you for your help. Second, I followed the steps you outlined, there is no Thai selection for the language support. Thai is an option when I go to Explorer, and click encoding. When I go to a Thai sight, an icon appears telling me that in order to best view this site, I should download Thai text support and uniscribe, from install on demand. I click download and it start initializing, about 1 minute later it chimes and says the necessary server cannot be located, is busy or I am not connected to the internet (all 3 of these in the same message).

I have Windows 98 first edition, with IE4. it is an upgrade disk, I previously had win. 95. I have explorer 5.5. So that is about the size of it. The same problem exists when I go to Chinese sights as well.

Yo Old Hippie -

I'm confused as to how you were able to download Thai language support but not be able to read Thai script. crazy.gif" border="0

I have Win Me and here's how I got it:

I clicked on the Start menu; Windows Update; Product Updates. A page entitled, "Select Software" appeared, with a catalog listing a variety of updates for my notebook.

I scrolled down towards the bottom to a section called, "Additonal Windows Features - Internet - International Language Support". There amongst other languages was "Thai Language Support, v. 5.0 2000".

Once I had it downloaded I could then read Thai script by using the pull down menu on the taskbar (View - Encoding - Thai (Windows).

If you do this, the gobbledeegook you're seeing will instantly be transformed to readable Thai. Kewl. cool.gif" border="0

But how the heck can I use my keyboard to TYPE in Thai script? How is it that I have the Thai language support downloaded but cannot TYPE in Thai? crazy.gif" border="0crazy.gif" border="0crazy.gif" border="0

Pjacktapa,

I have an old computer, PII 350 upgraded to Windows 98. I think my problem was the browser was unable to handle the request to process Thai script support. As for typing in Thai, I think, but I am not sure, that there are directions in the Microsoft upgrade section that tell you how to do it. The directions should be located in the same section where you get the downloads. I checked Windows 98 for dummies, and didn't get much help in terms of typing in Thai (I can't do it yet).

You can also contact microsoft support, but they take forever to get back to you. If I make it to LOS this week, I'll ask at an internet cafe, they should know. Or I'll ask a friend here at my Thai class.

Another option is to go to a computer store and ask, try to find a foreign guy who goes between English and his "native tounge." The process should be the same. Or you can do what my neighbor did (his wife is from Taiwan) he went to a university, found a student from Taiwan (at a club for Taiwanese students), and asked him how to do it. Sounds weird, but it worked. You will also need a Thai/English keyboard, or an overlay, let me know where you got one!

I just got the computer to type in Thai!! (Windows 98), Now I need an over lay for the keys! Any idea where I might get one state side, order order on line? If I make it to BKK this week, I'll try pantip, but in case I don't make it, I'll need one. Any idea what a well made keyboard with Thai and English keys goes for?

Thanks to all who offered their advice!

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Old hippie ]

Archived