More problems

Old Hippie

....."how much is a Khmer S/T anyway..."

A mere $5. LHL works cheap.....but make sure he's recovered from the prior night before letting him work on you 'puter...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might need to reimage the machine. I actually ran into this same issue with a company computer some idiot was using and installing everything under the sun on it.

Had the same issue. It kept disabling the Anti-virus software, in this case McAfee. After screwing around with the thing for about an hour and deleting numerous registry keys, because Adaware and Spybot could not delete them, I had to reimage it.

Some times that is the only solution especially after a machine gets that hosed. No software can fix the issue.

This might end being a pain in the ass but...

How to do it? I am also considering upgrading to a bigger hard drive (currently have an internal 30gig and an external 250gig, so might just go with a 250+ internal for about $200. Then install Xp on it, ad see how it goes...my next computer is most likely going to be an apple, then have a PC for off line use...Less hassles with Apple i think...might be wrong...please explain about/how to reimage, thanks...

Like I said, did that, and am back where I was before...Iwill just wait to buy a new hard drive, and do it all then...this shit gets old after awhile...

Oh, regarding Mozilla/firefox, same thing as Yahoo, I can't access the internet with it...something about firewall settings, turned it off and still couldn't use it...will try newer larger (upgraded) hard drive, reformat, and see...these spyware/malware and virus guys need to die...

"...please explain about/how to reimage, thanks..."

I think what he was referring to is using an image that was created after Windows was first installed and configured a clean image. Same thing as ghosting I suppose. When your operating system starts causing grief just install the clean image. Won't help you any unless you made an image.

Your new hard drive will likely have the exact same problems you're having with your current drive if you install Windows and all the programs exactly as you have done now (provided you have been formatting your hard drive before installation). As has been pointed out you need to format your entire hard drive to eliminate any traces of old code. Very important in your case. Reinstall Windows and forget about Norton. I personally think your computer errors are being caused by a short circuit somewhere between the seat of your chair and the keyboard. :)

There really is no need to buy a new hard drive, that's not going to change anything. I'd do a clean install of XP, download all the current security updates, and just run it like that for a while. I dont know about Dell, but on my Compaq you can go to their website, type in the model of your machine, and they will give you a list of all the most recent software/firmware/BIOS/driver files to download. Do that next if possible. If all is stable, which it then should be, start adding other programs one by one. If you do have a conflict somewhere, you can pinpoint what's causing the problem.

A reputable AV program, hijack this, spybot and adaware are pretty much the only programs you need to be safe. When you intall the AV, make sure you go in and turn the XP sercurity center OFF. Disable it within services.msc, otherwise it will turn itself back on without your knowledge.

Ok as I said, the compleate reinstall was down, supposedly (according to the Dell Tech) all traces of the passed were removed. The trouble all started when I went on line, all the AV had been installed, Adaware Spybot ect...and still immediately, the trouble started. so...no idea.

The idea of the NEW hard drive is, I want a bigger one internally, as it is less of a pain in the ass to use...in any event, i will most likely just upgrade the whole damned computer...get a DVD burner etc...

This computerh had all sorts of little quirks all along. most are probably just operator error, but when you have trouble like this, and even the skilled tech can't find them, there is definitely something fucked...besides the operator I mean...

The pain in the ass is, reinstalling XP compleately again may not solve the problem, clearly it didn't last time...Seems I recall it took 3 tries once before I got it right...

"........The pain in the ass is, reinstalling XP compleately again may not solve the problem, clearly it didn't last time...Seems I recall it took 3 tries once before I got it right..."

When you say you're installing XP is it just the one Windows XP installation disc (with nothing but the Windows software on it) that you're using or is it the kind of installation discs that ship with a computer with other software included? I've been under the impression that you're working with the basic XP installation disc to do a clean install of XP then installing other programs including Norton afterwards.

Archived