More problems

Old Hippie

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I HAVE the solution :D !

Rip out all the wires,plugs and what not,get the monitor,keyboard,tower,printer etc etc and bundle it all up and chuck it in the back of your car.Then drive down to the municiple dump and chuck the whole usless pile crap on to the garbage heap.

Dont stop at PC Mart on your way home though.Use the money you would have spend on a new PC on another trip to Los.

You sound like you sure need it!:up:

"....It is the Windows disk which came with the computer. The Norton, all drivers etc are on separate disks..."

I think it's something you're installing each time after you install XP that's creating a conflict. If you're baking cookies using good ingredients to begin with but toss a dog turd in somewhere along the line the cookies will taste like shit. If you keep following the same steps each time, the cookies are gonna taste like shit each time.

Software supplied by an ISP should be avoided. Any Norton discs I'd throw in the trash. If you're using XP SP2 (service pack 2) it has an improved firewall that is enabled by default but it won't block outbound connections if you end up with malware attempting to phone home. It would be adequate to run only the XP SP2 firewall at first.

Keep it simple, only install:

XP (SP2 hopefully) be sure firewall is enabled.

AVG anti-virus

Firefox, if you want an alternative to IE.

If you stick with only these things and don't toss a turd into the mix you should be up and working fine. Install other programs as needed after you determine that your computer is working well.

Archived