New(?) Thai Language Site

Lamock Chokaprret

Ran across this link in the Bangkok Post yesterday. It was listed as the 'Site of the Week' in the IT/Database section.

Learn Thai Language the Easy Way!

Set up by a 16 year old, it uses Flash to present the spoken Thai from a native Thai speaker. Although I'm not too thrilled with his transliteration method, it looks like it could be a valuable addition to the space.

His written English seems excellent by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I might be a little too cynical, but this just looks like a commercial site set up to sell thai books at inflated prices. Some of the articles have their price in baht showing, big markups. The english is much too good for a thai schoolkid Must be a native english speaker involved as well there somewhere. And whats the amazon.com connection?

You are right about the English being pretty good. A refreshing change if you ask me. As to the commercial aspect of the site, I'd guess that he's just using the referral links to generate revenue to pay for the hosting or make a little pocket money. Mai pen rai.

I don't think the commercial links are too obnoxious in this case.

Thanks daeng bireley for the compliment about my English. I study with a native speaker every day. The Thailand Life web site is owned by me. I do it as a hobby and don't make any money from it. The Learn Thai part I have two "language consultants". One Thai and one English. There is information about this on the front page. No secret. I started the bookshop because many people kept asking for books for reading and writing thai. Most of the books I sell myself I only make $2 or $3 profit. Sometimes I lose money. Sometimes I can make some money when they order quite a few books. My parents do a lot of overtime to help pay for me and my brother. I am trying to make some money now so I can help support my family. But, it costs a lot of money to run a shop. I use a credit card company in America and I have to pay them 9% for every order. Then, when they send me the check I have to pay the bank $32!! I have other things to pay for too. If you can help me with ways to save money then please e-mail me. I always listen to ideas. Thanks for visiting my site.

p.s. the amazon.com link is for my school. They make about 5% when a book is sold. Amazon.com then send them an electronic book

certificate. They use this to buy books for the library. Again, no secret. Information about this is on their web site.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by daeng bireley:

I might be a little too cynical, but this just looks like a commercial site set up to sell thai books at inflated prices. Some of the articles have their price in baht showing, big markups. The english is much too good for a thai schoolkid Must be a native english speaker involved as well there somewhere. And whats the amazon.com connection?

Maybe this is a site owned and set up by a farang using some young thai guy as a "front"

Am I being too cynical?

I don't know why people have to so cynical! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, as we say in America.

This is a fantastic site! As a long time (now retired) teacher, I thought it was the web project of a Thai student. It is.

An even more fantastic web site with perfect English throughout is that of their school. I followed the link in the language site to

"Sriwittayapaknam School in Thailand. We are a privately owned school catering for students aged between 3 and 15. The school is situated in Samut Prakan City about 30 kilometres south of Bangkok."

http://www.sriwittayapaknam.ac.th/

Nattuwud, Please keep up the fantastic work! I have always wondered about Thai signs and felt lost when I encountered them. Your section on them is fantastic. Please try to show more signs. Shop signs are extremely helpful.

Thank you.

Zane May

Archived