Baa Baa Boo Boo ??

It is rare that I add to this section - cos I can't speak Thai....

...but I remember a few years ago that I heard "Phibarr" a lot (apologies for my own spelling!) which was explained to me as being crazy / mad - in the sense of being mentally disturbed and also had someting to do with smelling bad.

- At the time I equated it to the mentally ill sort of people who live on the streets in the west (in the UK this was the product of the "Scare in the Community" policy from the 1980's where the old fashioned "nut houses" were closed and replaced by good intentions, but no money)

Can't think why this got mentioned to ME a lot though smile.gif" border="0

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Mr_Teapot ]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am i so nastier than U guys that I'm the only one told that flattering word crazy.gif" border="0

try that way:lo(long sound) tchit(short and falling)

Sorry i can't spell but I've heard it many times

I think it's the Rokejit from Daeng

Ba Ba Bo Bo means halfwit.

Pasaat is crazy animal, pronounced Bah Sat.

Khun Sanuk is the first person I've ever come across that knows it, none of the girls I've spoken to do!!

BAA(f).... is the most common term meaning "crazy"

BAA(f)BAA(f) BOH BOH.... is more colloquial and very common and means something like "out of your mind", "off his rocker", "lunatic", etc

PRA(l)-SAAT(l)....literally means "nerve", but also means "insane" or "mental case" and is a less frequently used more clinical term

ROHK(f) PRA(l)-SAAT(l)..... "a nervous disorder"

RONG PA-YA-BAAN PRA(l)-SAAT(l)..... a mental hospital

ROHK(f) JIT(l)..... a mental disorder, a personality disorder, a mental breakdown? Not commonly heard in spoken Thai.

TING TONG..... a relatively mild spoken slang term meaning something like "feeble minded", "nuts"

MAI(f) ROO(h) TUA ENG..... literally,"to not know oneself", actually means something like: "to completely lose touch with reality", "to lose one's mind", "to go insane",

SEU-BEUU(f)..... I always thought this meant "absurd", but I may be wrong. DB above says it means "simple minded"

MAI(f) TEM BAHT(l).... literally: not a full baht". I love this one. It can be used to mean "a little off, missing a few marbles, not playing with a full deck, a few bricks short of a load, not all there, lost his mind, porchlight is flickering, the lights are on but nobody's home, etc. Also:

SAAM® SA-LEUNG® is used in a similar way

PAN-YAA AWN(l)..... literally "feeble intelligence" or "weak minded", it is mainly used to describe the mentally retarded, but can be an amusing insult among friends. Most often used as an adjective describing DEK(l)

quote:

Originally posted by ALHOLK:

Hi all!

About 10 years ago a lady from Buriram used an expression that sounded something like "Seubeu". My understanding was that it was a less strong word for crazy than ba ba boo boo.

Would anyone know anything about this?

regards

ALHOLK

Very bad words. It means you're the village idiot!

Originally posted by Mr_Teapot:

...but I remember a few years ago that I heard "Phibarr" a lot (apologies for my own spelling!) which was explained to me as being crazy / mad - in the sense of being mentally disturbed and also had someting to do with smelling bad.

phiibaa ผีบ้า crazy demon very common slang

just means crazy or mad

see if I can get the tones right this time

phii (rising) baa (falling)

Archived