Air carriers between Phuket & Penang, Malaysia

texascity

you mean Penang in Malaysia?

can't recall any carrier that fly this route directly. however would be interested to know myself.

after the Tsunami many carriers have reduced flights to Phuket. for example TG has discontinued their (nearly) daily direct flight from Singapore to Phuket

Penang .. I stand corrected .. no wonder I was having a hard time finding a carrier. :-o

i did a turn around visa run in '98 ..was on Phuket as my 30 days was running out .. flew to Penang .. got off the plane walked through Malaysian immigration & then back onto the same plane & then back to Phuket for Thai immmigration's new 30 day stamp.

seems it was about a 4 hour "tuk tuk to tuk tuk" trip.

bought that ticket on Bangla Road... ticket then was about 4k Thb each way

the coast was spectactuar .. Penang was beautiful from the air .. I never left the airline terminal.

the muslum dominance in Penang airport was startling ..

I'm flashing back on all the womens clad in black head to toe, literaly

>doesn;t sound like the penang I know?<

I never left the terminal gate .. cleared Malaysian immigration turned a cornor & reboarded the plane .. same gate back to the same plane.

not just didn't leave the airport .. actually walked less that 200 m. might have been less than 100m .. my only goal that afternoon was to not over stay my 30 day Thai visa.

I had never seen muslim garbed womans before ..

so Penang is a nice place to visit? looked beautiful from the air.

bar / bg scene?

will check tigar air .. thanks.

No flights at all from Penang to Phuket or v/v.

You have to either get a "backpackers" minibus, (most uncomfortable and you need to change minibuses in Hat Yai), or... get a regular Thai intercity bus from Phuket to Hat Yai, (6 hours), and then you have to get a minibus from Hat Yai to Penang. (4 hours). No big buses run from Hat Yai to Penang.

You could go by minibus (or hire a private car) from Phuket to Satun and get the ferry from there to Langkawi Island in Malaysia. From Langkawi, you can then get a ferry or fly to Penang. Malaysia Airlines flies from Langkawi to Penang in about 15 minutes, or the ferry takes 2 hours.

Better off using one of the budget carriers, like Air Asia, and fly Phuket - Kuala Lumpur, and then Kuala Lumpur to Penang.

Even though you're doubling back, you would probably save a lot of time. You could also do Air Asia Phuket to Bangkok and then Bangkok to Penang.

But remember, Air Asia will not "through-check-in", so you would have to reclaim your baggage and then re-check in either KL or BKK.

Hope this helps.

Moo Noi.

Archived