LInux

Old Hippie

Hi!

I mostly agree but considering that most computer users use their computer for word processing, spreadsheets, internet and mayby some image manipulation it should install and work on most computers. It's true though that there some hardware e.g. scanners and printers that don't work well.

I have done some kernel hacking and that is not for the beginner but at lest it is possible on a Linux system as opposed to Windoze.

regards

ALHOLK

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Find a Linux magazine, or go to Panthip if your in BKK and find a copy of Knoppix (linux) runs from a cdrom, works on a huge variety of hardware and has a huge selection of software. You can try before you commit to a new life style at mid age, without rewriting one inode of your windows disc.

Hi!

I did this on a Mandrake distro once but I Have never encountered this on Red Hat/Fedora. Anyway to be fair, How many times have you installed a Windoze system as secondary to another system. I can also give you the answer - "0, zero, nada" becuse if you attempt this it will wipe out any other system it finds on the MBR.

regards

ALHOLK

Hi Al,

Fair point - after trying to install RH 8.0 on the second half (!) of the 80GB drive on my new laptop, I'm now doing a clean install of another distro. In my heart of hearts, I knew that Linux wouldnt boot with /boot so far into the drive, but I had to be a comedian and give it a shot.

I might start another thread when I get it all up and running - dont want to be too geeky about it, but it might be handy to people like OH who havent tried Linux before (assuming he likes what he sees with the CD-only distro).

Cheers,

Artie

adikgede said:

Find a Linux magazine, or go to Panthip if your in BKK and find a copy of Knoppix (linux) runs from a cdrom, works on a huge variety of hardware and has a huge selection of software. You can try before you commit to a new life style at mid age, without rewriting one inode of your windows disc.

That's a good idea about using Knoppix. There are also others that boot of the cd. Mandrake had one too. You can get them off the cds that come with PC magazines.

I've been using Linux aff and on for about 10 years and have watched it become much more useable and refined since the days when everything had to be installed an configured manually. However, I still woulf be reluctant to recommend it as a layman's system. You need to be really into computers to get the best out of it.

That's a good idea about using Knoppix. There are also others that boot of the cd. Mandrake had one too. You can get them off the cds that come with PC magazines.

Mandrake also has a flash drive distro I think that runs off a usb flashdrive. For a new user I would stick with Knoppix more users so more likely the problem you are having can be googled.

Archived