LInux

Old Hippie

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Linux user and supplier, I;d suggest using something like Fedora. It looks and feels just like Windows and you'll easily find your way around.

It is not so easy to install though, but if you have a hard drive, our engineer in Bangkok can install on your next visit.

Problem is most things, as much as I hate this, are run on Windows.

A good comprmise is Open Office Version 2.0. Not bad, interchangable with Micrcrap office.

DOG

OK, OH - you've just stepped into a minefield. This is the part where the mods have to watch every post for signs of religious zealotry - several GB of crap is written to the Slashdot server every day, usually Linux zealots bagging Windows, but it serves little real purpose.

Anything I type from this point will be hotly debated by some, but this is my two bahts worth:

1. If you are willing to spend more time learning about the operating system, and the peculiarities of your hardware, then Linux will be an enjoyable experience.

2. Despite the huge advances in 'usability', and attempts to make various distros (Redhat, SuSe, Debian etc) more 'Windows-like', I havent seen any single distro which will handle the same range of hardware (from ancient to bleeding-edge) straight from the box as well as Windows XP.

3. Modern Linux releases are fantastic, but the learning curve really can be daunting when something goes wrong or you want to install software that is incompatible with the libraries installed on your system. Each of your main distros has its own software management utility - Red Hat has RedHat Package Manager ('RPM'), and this has spawned the infamous RPM Hell - just one example

4. If you want to play current 3D games, stick with Windows - if you dont, I'd strongly urge you to consider buying a Mac. Their software install utility is the best that I've seen (yes, Microsoft folk, better than Software Update on XP), you have the backing of a large multinational *and*, more importantly, a large and enthusiastic online community, and the hardware is beautifully engineered (iBook display issues notwithstanding..)

As I said, Linux devotees will undoubtedly repudiate several of my points, but it still comes down to whether or not you want to spend as much time configuring your OS as you do actually *using* it.

Hi!

There are very few things that you can't do on Linux at least as well as you can do on Windoze. Cutting edge games have already been mentioned. Another thing is large word documents with lots of graphics. The learning curve is clearly higher and I am slightly biased as I have worked with UNIX systems for more than 20 years.

regards

ALHOLK

There are very few things that you can't do on Linux at least as well as you can do on Windoze

Agree 100% Al - but it comes at a price. For those of us who are prepared to trawl mailing lists looking for fixes to our problems, this is part of the attraction, but I have to concede that the average home user just isnt that hardcore. Ultimately, its up to OH, but many of us know what it feels like to have a PC that wont boot into *any* OS, courtesy of a fragged MBR or similar. Its a lot like giving a kid a new Gizmo on Xmas Day, and then sitting their glumly when you realize the thing needed batteries. :o

Archived