LInux

Old Hippie

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are you running such an old distro. I have used Red Hat since 4.2 and am now running Fedora Core 4. For every new release there are improvments.

Its been a while, Al - I bought RH 8.0 some time ago, and it was the most current distro I could find in the house. Came in to work and installed Ubuntu ( http://www.ubuntulinux.org ) yesterday - as I said, I hope to do a fuill writeup in a separate post. Chose this distro simply because someone else with an Aspire 3000 posted that it had installed flawlessly on his machine - I'm past the stage where I enjoy chasing kernel patches just to get the OS to recognise my DVD drive ::

LOL... unless the term "inode" has come into general use among the masses, the post I replied to would also have to come under this category you just invented of "slashdot-style" posts, n'est-ce pas?

In any case I don't recall you being in charge to the point of laying down "tenets of this board." So come on down off your high horse.

Enough said.

In any case I don't recall you being in charge to the point of laying down "tenets of this board."

KS will readily attest to my authoritarian stance in relation to other members - not having any actual 'authority' has never stopped me ::

For those who think that Nana has more than its share of, ahem, spirited discussion, here is a typical Slashdot post:

Taking Linux on the Road with Ubuntu

Just scroll down and you'll see the posts - its particularly funny when they get so off-topic that no-one can quite remember what the original article was about. Of course, that wont happen here (at least, not on my watch) .......

Archived