Mae Hong Son-Pai

FAT_AUSSIE

I'm headed to Mae Hong Son and Pai around new years and I just thought I'd approach the board for any tips for maybee any where to go that stands out or any where that maybee is better avoided...same with Pai? don't know if going there would be a waste of time but just looking to relax, learn a bit more about Thailand. how many days in each area is best? I'm thinking about 3 nights in MHS and maybee 2 nights in Pai, fly in bus out from/to Chiang Mai? is the plane small and scarey or is the road trip deadly? any one been??? I'd love to hear your experience...BTW i'll be travelling with an 18 m,o infant...

FA,

I will be in MHS and Pai as well between xmas and newyear.

Fly to Chaing Mai, but not to MHS, it looks like only an airstrip there......

We rent a car and will drive around from attraction to waterfall to the next wat or Doi to climb on.

One advise though : rent your rooms right now, its top season, most hotels are nearly fully booked already.

Have fun.

BB

Was in Pai with NYE many moons back, when Pai was a little dot on the map. Nice treks around there, rented a bike and went to a grotto with stalagtites, very nice. Also very cold at night!

Went also to a small vill to smoke some black drab in pipes offered by old guys in their local hut.

All in all, Pai probably enough tot ake it all in within 2 or 3 days.

BelgianBoy said:

Fly to Chaing Mai, but not to MHS, it looks like only an airstrip there...

Coward! :clown:

I remember my first trip to MHS. Late 80s. I went with a gal from Kanchanaburi who had never been on an airplane before (ya, we flew). We land a MHS, and I freak out. There was a crashed airplane near the runway. There was a DC3 with Royal Air Laos markings. The terminal was marked Aeroport International de Vientiane, the wheel up deplaning stairs were marked Royal Air Laos. I though we had gotten on the wrong plane! We both were a bit taken aback and had no idea what to do as I did not have my passport with and she did not have one at all, let alone visas...

It turned out that they were filming the movie "Air America" at the time and they were using the MHS airport as the Vientian one!!! :doah: :doah: :doah: :doah: :doah: :doah: Actually, the whole movie was filmed in MHS.

But MHS is a decent "provential capital city"-type airport. The drive from CM is quite slow.

Cheers,

SD

• 4 weeks later...

was in MHS on the 29. and 30.12. around 3-4 years ago. we just got one of the last rooms. hundreds of people did not get any accommodation anymore and the temperature was close to 0 degrees!! i drove from CM to Pai and MHS; it remind me on my trips over passes in the Alps in central europe or in mountain regions in south america

Archived