Price to unlock mobile at MBK

monkey39

Cheaper in Thailand would be my qualified guess. Negotiable price though and may be somewhat of a hassle (i.e. white skin surcharge). If you are only going to save a few dollars, is it really worth it?

(a friend of mine unlocked his SonyEricsson for 800 baht at MBK but I think "real price" is less)

I think the Razor has certain video functions which also need to be unlocked as well, at least what I read...the prices are similar, my V551was $15 USD and they wanted about 600 in MBK, so not worth it. Good to have it unlocked, and ready to go when you get there...I just switch sims on the way over!

All Razrs can be used in Thailand, as long as it's unlocked. The only difference between one bought in the USA v. Thailand or anywhere else is the language pack installed. Software versions and languages can be changed through flashing and flexing, video and other phone related stuff can be changed with hex editing. Instructions and software for doing both are widely available on the internet. I'm currently running a custom software pack on my Razr that has the video unlocked and uses vodaphone icons. If anyone want's some detailed information on how to make changes, let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

Just bought the phone from Cingular, and the video recording is unlocked and available.

Yeah, using Thai SIMs is the reason I want to do this. When I took my first quad-band phone over there earlier this year, roaming charges from Cingular was $1.99/min US! Too rich for my blood! I think that the whole locking thing is a scam, anyway, to keep you using a provider's service. Wish we could buy SIMs for new numbers here in the US, but probably considered a terrorist security threat. ::

thanks,

monkey39

Just get it unlocked at MBK, probably about 500 baht. Take a thai friend along if you can, they might be able to negotiate you a better price.

One word of advice. Stick around and watch them do the work, or if they tell you to come back, mark your phone somehow to make sure you get your handset back and not some second hand piece that's been swapped out with generic parts. Chances are there won't be a problem, but there's some shady operations running in there.

Archived