Visiting Buddhist Temples and Karaoke DVD's

asiafun

This may or may not belong in the culture section but I would not mind a quick rundown of does and don't for visiting the Wats and if these rules apply to the major tourist Wats.

Next I enjoy breaking out the Karaoke machines when my friends and I are at the house but am having difficulty finding a good selection of rock, modern rock karaoke VCD's or DVD's. It seems many of them are of pop crap like britney spears or classics like elvis or the beach boys. Any ideas while in BKK or Pattaya? I have checked out the Big C's, Tesco's and a handful of night markets to no avail.

Temples... No open toed shoes, no bare feet. basically, wear socks, remove shoes before entering...no shorts, no tank tops. Don't point your feet towards the Bhudda, or others, basically sit on them if you can. DON'T point with your feet either...Most of the bigger temples will pull you aside if not apropriately attired, and "rent you" or loan you proper clothes...

no photos in areas where they say no photos, this is sort of a major deal in some places (Wat Phra Keow for example) Most temples in tourist areas will ahve signs up. If standing next to a Bhudda statue, lower yourself so your head is not above the Bhudda, don't photograph yourself satnding above a Bhudda etc... Same basically for Monks, don't touch them, or stand next to them with your head above them, they may over look that one... Check Foot prints or Lonely planet for more details, i just covered the very basics...

Karaoke...hmmm, here is an idea, buy some Karaoke CDs/VCDs in the USA or your home country, stuff you like, copy it, and give it to the places you go! That way, you'll have what you like, and maybe make a friend in the process...Enjoy the trip!

Funny, just remember one of my first Visits to BKK and a Temple...Was staying on Rama 4, I think the Mandarin, so i decide to walk over to Patpong, you know, see the sights, buy some souvinoiurs etc...So The side walk was closed, and I had to walk passed or actually through a temple, that big one between the Mandarin and Patpong...forget the name...so I started in, and an older woman stopped me, gestured for me to remove my shoes...did that, and she instructs me to "wai Phra" do that...she coaches me through bowing, praying with 3 sticks of insence, then guides me to the door...and in English says "good. o.k. now you go patpong, get sexy massage..."

The best place in Bkk for Cd's is on the 4th floor of mbk at the patamwan princess end, called mvk music, they have a very good selection. Been all over fortune and it's pretty poor with mainly DVD's. In the past scorpion were good but not now. Of course if you are out of the centre like bang kapi, rangsit , tapra or bang kae good music shops can be found in the malls. Pattaya did have a small good place in the wall type shop in walking street on the left but not been to pattaya for 4 years, (thank god) so not sure now.

Thats hilarious!!! I think I would crap myself laughing after that and yes you are corect when I say that I am looking for the Karaoke DVD/VCD's.

I am not in the states so that option is not available to me. I have found some good ones in Singapore and Malaysia but the boss bogarts those trips for himself so its rare that I get to go...

Archived