Anyone been a monk?

doxx

No, but a close friend just finished writing a kids book about it, very nice, great photo's of boy monks who chose to spend thei summer holiday in the monkhood.

While the kids seemed to do it quite well, I'd have a hard time adjusting, but would be keen to here about Farangs who did do it ad how they found the exerience/

DOG

The temple here, where I study Thai has a farang Monk, and had a farang Nun...the Monk is cool to talk to...met a few farang monks here and there, apparently, they seek each other out...oddly, they seem to bend the rules a bit for them. Oh, I also saw, last week, them shaving the head of some farang guy, who will train as a monk there...I recall a Thai girl pointing out a temple in BKK, I think near the British embassy, where she said they taught farang monks...forget exactly where...might be interesting to go talk with some of them...

Looks like no then. There is an excellent book by the first english, maybe first falang monk called Richard Randall in the early 50's. My life as a siamese monk tells of his very interesting experiences at wat paknam in thonburi (dharmakaya) He talks about driving from Don Muang on dirt roads and passing through villages and rice paddies on the way to Bkk, them were the days ::

Archived