poo yai baan

I've been trying to find the meaning for "poo yai baan" in dictionaries with no success. I've tried Angrit to Thai, thai to Angrit. no luck

Mayor?

Senator?

Councilperson?

Thanks,

BSG

Literally, it means "head of household" as ¼ÙéãË­è (poo yai) means leader/elder/big cheese/etc and ºéÒ¹ (baan) of course means house.

Perhaps you are mishearing it and they are saying poo yai baang? Then it could be a colloquial way to say village head as ºÒ§ (baang) means village. Or maybe, as Thais do, they shortened the word ËÃÙèºéÒ¹ (moo-baan), also kinda meaning village (also kinda meaning neighborhood), for use here by dropping the "moo"? :dunno:

Anyway, properly, ¡Ó¹Ñ¹ (gam-nan) means village chief, ¹Ò¡à·ÈùµÃÕ (naa yok tet-sa-mon-dtree) means mayor and ÊÃÒªÔ¡ÊÀÒ (sa-maa-chik sa-paa) or ¼Ùéá·¹ÃÒɮà (poo-taen-raat-don) is MP.

Cheers,

SD

I just know it's an elected official. It's actually one my wife's family members and I was trying to understand. Kept looking up words in my English-Thai dict. but apparently none applied.

It is a board bug. To type or read Thai fonts, you have to manually change the encoding to Thai. Do this by going to the menu bar, choosing View>Encoding>Thai (that's for Firefox, but other browsers should be similar).

BTW, I am betting on gamnan...

Cheers,

SD

In Samui the Poo Yai Baan is the village head for parts of the island. Like I live in Plai Laem and we have a Poo Yai Baan, but Chaweng has a different Poo Yai Baan, so has every village on the island it's own Poo Yai Baan.

They're kind of mini mayors with quite a lot of 'power' (maybe, but definately a lot of respect. One of them tells you it's better you leave the island, you don't wanna stay, that's for sure.

Our PYB wanted to shoot some Isaan workers after they attacked him and few coppers in a drunken stupor in a karaoke joint, things got sussed out in such a way that the workers left Samui the very next day.

The road in front of our house become a lot quieter at night since the dogs didn't have anything to bark at anymore all night long when they went home at various hours during the night.

Hm, wandering off topic here.

It seems however that SD has a broader amount of options available, so maybe check with your relatives for the correct pronuncation.

Archived