Question re Japan

gobbledonk

Hi All,

I know Japan is a complex society - hardcore Manga on the newsstands etc, but very little street crime. Is it still the 'safest country in Asia', particularly for women ? I recently repeated the old adage that a woman can wander the streets of Tokyo at night without the kind of fear such a stroll would entail in Gwailo-land, but am I living in the 50's ?

Cheers,

Artie

I'll use a traveler's account of a recent trip to Tokyo to answer your question:

"The underground train conductors, in their white gloves, bow to the passengers at every stop. Passers-by will come up and help if you look puzzled. There is an almost total absence of street crime, robbery, or any kind of threat."

Japan has its gangs such as Bosozoku and what have you, but most of the violent rape fantasies remain in "pinku eiga" and "manga books".

Additionally I will say it is a little shocking there is almost no street crime in Japan. You must consider the fact that Japanese often walk around with obscene amounts of cash in their wallets. The reason being credit cards and ATM's were late bloomers in the world's largest city, which still runs on cash mostly :dunno:

I love Japan..

Cheers,

the_numbers

It's five years ago when I lived in Japan. Sometimes I missed the last subway and had to walk home from Ikebukuro station (one of the major stations in Tokyo) like other Japanese did as well. Often I saw young girls in miniskirts and high heels walking leisurely even without once scanning the people in front and especially in the back like any woman would do in Germany walking at night - or better said, no woman would walk alone in Germany after midnight.

This means you are absolutely right. There might not exist many countries on earth where women can feel that safe in public space like in Japan.

This does not mean that sexual harassment (called "sekuhara" in Japan) doesn't exist. Crowded subways are 'famous' for groping and some lines installed "women only" cars for that reason and sekuhara seems to take place at work or at home where women are in a weaker position usually.

But groping and other kinds of male sexual illegal/no consenting or violent acts can be lived fully in special "fantasy" clubs which offer props with school rooms, subway compartments e.g. where hostesses play every role wished by men in matching costumes.

"es. And where else can there be vending machines on nearly every corner? Anywhere else and they would be broken in to on a daily basis.

Japan shows us what we could be..." if there was more self respect and social responisbility ( or being part of the herd)

Without a doubt, Japan is one of the safest countries on earth.

However, a young lady walking on the street at night may get gropped by a passing bicycle rider, or verbally accosted by some drunk sarariman, or some other bull shit like that. Cars slowing down to talk or make lewd offers. Some industrial areas, or some homeless / day worker areas are not all that safe, even for gents. bosozoku boys (of either the motorcycle or car variety) will fuck with the gaijin (farang) just for fun. Trying to provoke you, trying to get you into a fight.

Like I said at first, compared with almost every other big city on earth, it is very, very safe.

A blonde western lady I knew used to get hassled all the time like I described, either on the train or walking home after dark. Her panties were stolen several times off of her second floor balcony while drying the laundry, that means some freak was climbing up there to get them. Crime is on the rise in Japan and more and more of the street youths are getting more and more aggressive.

Archived