Actively seeking job in LOS - best visa to have?

chilli13

Hi,

Being that I'm temporary in between jobs I might as well use my (extended) upcoming holidays to 'actively seek' jobs in LOS.

Question then being - given I may need to remain in LOS past the 30day standard visa would the potential employers care which visa I may be holding at time of again potential interview?

My options generally being:

a) use the standars on arrival 30day visa & if needed make a visa run to remain legally in country past 30days

B) get a 60day tourist visa from europe before I leave for thailand

c) get a non imm 'O' based on my marriage again before I leave for LOS

Potential benefit I see from employers & my own point of view with the extended visa types is that in the unlikely case I do obtain a great job I could more easily & quick apply in country for the needed 'B' visa & work permit right?

Otherwise I'd need a trip to penang or europe etc. to apply the 'B' or eventual 'ex' visa. BTW I may have asked before, but anybody out there ever got the 'ex' visa or know of any benefits or who might get one?

Any other job seekers advice? :)

Thanks a million (baht) ::

Hi Ib,

AFAIK and remember...the crucial thing in a job situation would be that you have more than 30 days left on your visa in which case the correct amendment can be made from the bkk. Then you wouldnt have to do a visa run. Thus any non imm 2 month would do.

If your wife can provide u with a 2 month visa, youre a lucky man, but i dunno if those visas actually provide us with a work permit kermit. :)

Cheers,

PC

I don't see that the type of visa you have when attending an interview is of any relevance.

If you do get a job your employer will have to get you a Work Permit for which you will need a Non Immigarnt Visa. To get a NIV you will have to leave LOS and apply for one at a Thai Embassy in another country.

Not sure if it applies to all cases but where I work a Class O(m) non-immigrant (married) is sufficient for work permit application and once WP issued your lenght of stay will be extended to expiry date of the visa.

So having the Non-Imm O means that you don't have to leave the country.

So basically what you guys are saying is that the visa status means fuck all as the 'hassle' of getting the needed non imm type in neighbour countries is only a matter of a few days right?

However what matters when trying to land that job is networking so yet again I'll ask: anyone can offer or refer to suitable points of contact? Companies, societies, individuals heck even URLs whatever???

Cheers :beer:

Get a 1 year multi entry Non-Imm O visa. This will easily convert to an 1 year extended Non-Imm B and work permit without leaving the country ( I did it late last year). I have heard that a tourist visa can also be converted, but have no proof. A 30 day visa wavier definitely cannot be converted as there is no visa.

Non-Imm O's are easy to get, a copy of your marriage certificate and wife's ID card is all it takes.

TH

This may surprise you but AIS is full of farangs (you see, we do have our uses to Thaksin!)and a surprising number are on the board of directors. If I were you I would seek a way of getting to talk to a couple of them if possible. This may not be easy at this level but they are mainly scandinavians so try the Skandi chamber networking events. Do not be shy about asking to be introduced to people as this is common practice for these events. The farangs are also highly evident further down the food chain in the field engineering part of the business so you need to identify some of these people not just in AIS but maybe in the othet telecoms companies too.

Archived