Finding a good cup of coffee

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually most of the exported coffee beans are Robusta from the south. Robusta is significantly inferior to Arabica which requires higher altitudes and lower temeratures, so obviously its grown in the North but not big quantities.

So despite the fact that Thailand produces primarily low grade coffee it slaps high duties and limits imports with quota's on ALL coffee. For coffee roasters thats a problem because to optimise the flavour you need to blend coffee.

I never think to bring coffee beans to LOS as gifts...or ground coffee...as I recall, the beans were really expensive in Foodland and Villa...I can score a big bag of Starbucks (hate them really) cheap at Costco...or an off brand...maybe make a fortune smuggling coffee...

Fatbastard said:

Actually most of the exported coffee beans are Robusta from the south. Robusta is significantly inferior to Arabica which requires higher altitudes and lower temeratures, so obviously its grown in the North but not big quantities.

So despite the fact that Thailand produces primarily low grade coffee it slaps high duties and limits imports with quota's on ALL coffee. For coffee roasters thats a problem because to optimise the flavour you need to blend coffee.

You're well informed Fatbastard. American?

I like Coffeeworld. They seem to serve a consistently decent cup in Bkk/Pty and are not nearly as bad a ripoff as $tarBuck$ is in Thailand.

If you like it old school try the Federal Hotel coffee shop on Soi11 Sukhumvit. About 1/2 block past Grand President. Great brewed coffee, Expresso, and Moca's for cheaper than the Coffee franchises. I like the old school nothing fancy diner atmosphere and their food is not bad either.

I'm not rreally a coffe drinker, so once in a while some ice coffee from a 7/11 is more than enough for me, however, what I do like about Starbucks is the merchandise they sell. Pretty good stuff, although a bit overpriced, like their whole menu.

What I miss at Starbucks is a brew you can seemingly only get in the States. A kind of tea, duh, even forgot the name of it, but outside of the USA I've never found it in a Starbucks.

Archived