Finding a good cup of coffee

There are a few good coffee places in Pattaya but what about the prices now? Au Bon Pain now charge 70 baht for a capiccuno and Starbucks have some of their beverages going for 150 baht.

I had an iced coffee in 96 degrees for 85 baht a few days ago. Truthfully I find this a ripoff ,considering I can go to Dianna Coffe shop and have as much brewed coffee and food as I want for 105 baht at their breakfast buffet.

My deal of the week goes to Delifrance where I got a capiccuno and a jam baguette for 90 baht.

You can get great coffee and fresh fruit shakes at the IT center in Pattaya for about 20 baht.

Can some-one tell me why good coffee needs to cost so much in Thailand?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
walletss said:

Can some-one tell me why good coffee needs to cost so much in Thailand?

Well, it shouldn't cost 80+ baht, that's outrageous. However, a commercial espresso setup is very expensive to they have to cover that cost. The espresso beans shouldn't be very expensive unless they import it. I think Starfucks imports. I buy Thai beans that are roasted in Chiang Mai and it's excellent, and cheap. Also, if you are into fine coffee, you have to hire and train good staff and that's not cheap; making good coffee drinks isn't like flippin burgers.

To no one in particular, but if you all complain about GOOD coffee, what does stop you guys to shop around for a decent machine and brew your stuff at home ?

Just wondering..... then again, I never had coffee in my life so I do not sense the aggrevation some of you feel in this threat :dunno:

BB

The price has little if anything to do with costs, its what ever the punters are prepared to pay and thats much of the appeal at eg Starbucks. "look how much money I have as I can afford to pay 120baht for a 20 baht cup of coffee" As an aside I used to live opposite Starbucks in Thonglor, watching the battle on sunday mornings to see who would get the prime parking postion in front of the entrance (so every one could see the Bimmer with fake M3 badges) was a laugh, they would prowl up and down the street waiting to pounce on THAT carpark.

The margins on Coffee have always been high, its a luxury and in many ways the higher you push the price, the greater perception of quality.

<<To no one in particular, but if you all complain about GOOD coffee, what does stop you guys to shop around for a decent machine and brew your stuff at home ?>>

Which is exactly what I;ve done.

Maid makes a amazingly good cappacino, which is one reason I refuse to sack her!

I struggledd for year,s last year bought a cappacino machine from Australia (Italian though I think)

By the way my mother arrived last night, and brought me "Belgium Cheire Liquir Chocolates" which go perfect with my evening cappacino.

DOG

I brought across a decent Gaggia coffee machine and proper grinder in OZ about 10 years ago, If I can, I buy my coffee beans from a roaster in Gold Coast (QLD) buy 3 x 3 kg bags which last me a year, put all bags in the freezer and just bring out the quantity you need for the week. The coffee stays good for a year that way. Fresh coffee evey morning, not good for the health but a good start to the day.

Try Black Canyon at Carrefour on Pattaya Klang (Central Rd.)

in Pattaya. I've only tried their iced coffee (not the blended stuff) and find that is is quite decent. I know a couple of guys who have their regular black coffee there every morning, and they really like it. In the States, I like the coffee sold by Dunkin Donuts!

At home here in Pattaya I settle for the instant crap, which is fine because I'm used to it.

Thailand grows two types of coffee beans considered some of the best in the world. However, most of it gets exported. ::

Archived