Dating agencies?

panadolsandwich

Hi, first post although I've been reading many, many threads here - very resourceful site!. Soon I'll be in Thailand for six months maybe longer::. I'm 30, don't appear to have trouble attracting girls (within reason!), and Australian.

I was reading this thread a while ago - sorry I couldn't find it again easily - one of those trip reports where the punter had supplemented his whoring activities with a couple of dates with GTG's. Now what I'm interested in doing is the reverse of that!

Having said that, please don't mistake me for a cold-hearted SOB just looking to exploit GTG's for free sex. I take the attitude that dating there is much like it is here in Australia - we're just fooling around, and if it gets serious, then we can talk about relationships and the like. I could commit if I met the right girl!

Anyhow, I did some research to find dating agencies in Thailand and came up with a bewildering array of places - many seeming quite dodgy. What I wanted to ask is if someone could be kind enough to point me to some kind of review (I couldn't find one here), or list of reputable dating agencies?

BTW I've been learning Thai for a month so I can hold up some kind of conversation. I've heard that one of the best ways of learning a language is with a local girl in the sack - that can form the intermediate to advanced component of my tuition (in more ways than one::)!!!

thanks in advance,

Panadol.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
panadolsandwich said:

Having said that, please don't mistake me for a cold-hearted SOB just looking to exploit GTG's for free sex. I take the attitude that dating there is much like it is here in Australia - we're just fooling around, and if it gets serious, then we can talk about relationships and the like. I could commit if I met the right girl!

Well, there's your first mistake. Dating "for real" GTGs is NOT like Oz or the West in general. You first go out on supervised dates for several weeks, then maybe you get to go out alone, then after a few months you maybe get to sleep with her. But then you are expected to marry her!

Be very careful here, especially if do not speak Thai and have little understanding of the culture. It is not unheard of for young Thai gals to off themselves if they sleep with a guy who is just playing around, but she was not.

Now there is a subset of non-P4P gals who are quite liberated sexually. But a newbie farang with no language skills will have a heck of a time finding them and will most likely end up with another form of P4P gal (freelancer/parttimer/etc) who looks more normal than a BG but will expect $$ at the end of the day.

Oh, and ALL dating agencies are dodgy. Some may have a very few genuine gals in their lists, but most are of the third style I mentioned above, looking for the payday.

Cheers,

SD

Ok, thanks SD. Didn't realise that there was such a difference in dating in Thailand. Sounds rather serious - supervised dates? Surely there must be some kind of dating agency where they are not expecting marriage, the family and the mortgage and straightaway? Still as you say - *I'm* the newbie - so thanks for the heads up - maybe I can take my chances on finding a non-p4p girl as you suggest - chances are slim from what you are saying, but with the right attitude should be fun trying.

BTW I've been learning Thai for a month so I can hold up some kind of conversation

If you have been learning from a book/tape/CD without interaction from a Thai speaker I doubt you will have any meaningfull language ability. Thai is a tonal language and without the correct tones being used it would be uninteligble to most Thais. If you learn your Thai between the sheets with a BG, you will end up speaking a version of Thai unsuitable for polite conversation, and it would label you a whoremonger with any real GTG you may happen to meet the minuit you open your mouth. BKK is very different from the West. You will have a great time finding this out for yourself though.

Yeah, guess I'm being a bit unrealistic. I might look into Thai lessons at a language school so I don't necessarily sound like some sleazebag whoremonger to the GTG's (who I suppose I get no prizes for guessing, don't go in for that sort of guy).

I do plan to look in at Gullivers when I first get in for the orientation seminar. Sounds good!

Hi,

I think what folk are trying to say is that all your preconceptions of Thailand and the Thais will be pretty much all wrong - not bad wrong or good wrong - just wrong.

I have no experiance of Dating Agencies in Thailand, and only met ONE GTG socially and NOT biblically :: (ie someone who was not clearly in the p4p scene) - so bear all this in mind!

You have not been wasting your time in trying to learn the Thai language, just that it is unlikely that much you say will be intelligble!, but you gotta start somewhere (although some of us never really do :o) and IMHO ESPECIALLY if you are aiming for a GTG you do need to speak some Thai - trying to learn will also give you both something neutral to talk about. I would suggest that as you are in Thailand for 6 months that you sign up for some language courses, not just for the Thai, but it may also help you develop a social scene away from "Just" the nightlife scene via your fellow Farang students. You may even get the chance to get to know some "regular" thai folk through it - and into a world I know very little about.

Lots of good folk in Thailand, the trouble is meeting them and screening out the P4P (nothing wrong with ALL of them - just that it is good to know who you are dealing with), and the "GTG" just after the money. A very GTG is unlikely in Thailand to be out clubbing at 2am or sending rude messages to foreigners on the net.

However I would suggest that you immerse yourself into the naughty nightlife......if purely only for research purposes ::......in addition to the GoGo bars and bars, I would suggest that you also spend a lot of time in the quieter Beer Bars and develop a "local" (that's done by going twice!) and just chilling out in the afternoon chatting to the gals in English and a bit of Thai - get known as a nice enough bloke and they can be a mine of information (whether intentional or not), even without shagging them (so looks are unimportant for these purposes and someone with a few years under her belt is actaully a bit more valuable for these purposes and also she will just have more to talk about!) - just do not rely on only one BG as a source of info! Visit enough bars and you WILL find a BG you like to spend time with even if you do not want to marry her or even sleep with - she may well be acting that she likes you - but also in many respects she will like you if you treat her well (ie just like a "Normal" gal) it doesn't mean spending a fortune on her, but a few baht spent on things WITH thought attached goes a long way IME. Th eimportant thing is spending the time - same in Thailand as anywhere, 10 minutes in a bar once a week for a fortnight ain't goona get yer the same treatment from the gals as spending a couple of hourse every day for 6 months! (or somehwhere in between!)

Why go to all the above effort? Well, you have the time - and the only way you are going to have a chance (not a guarnatee!) of later being able to spot the BG's / P4P gals is to meet them when you KNOW they are working - you may be surprised how good they are at being "genuine". Remember it's only a game, but it's also their job and their is a real person inside every BG (sometimes of course several a night ::), so no need to point out how "clever" you are in "Knowing" that they haven't really fallen in love with you after 30 seconds etc etc.

Regarding "learning in the sack", nothing wrong with this as long as you know that what you learn may well be not the proper way of saying things. I am sure how you talk and what words you use to yer mates down the pub after 10 beers is a bit different to how you would speak and what words you would use if giving a presentation to the board of Directors stone cold sober. But the BG in the sack has her place in the learning curve. it's still Thai.

If you are around on the 13th Jan - more than welcome - I don't know anyone here either! (to date by choice!)

Archived