More ramblings about Food in Bangkok

steffi

Not a very good dining experience.

So today I tried eating at UCC Coffee at Siam Center for the first time and let me just say that it will probably be the last time. It seems that now it's no longer possible to order Ice Lemon Tea or Caffe Yen but you have to order Brazilian Coffee or Earl Grey etc etc.. Anyway I ordered the "Iced Coffee" which means that they bring me a tray with three things on it and those were black coffee with ice, syrup and milk .. So it's DIY Coffee and that means if I do it it's not going to taste very good and certainly wasn't worth the 60 thb they charged.

Secondly I ordered the Salmon/Spinach Pasta dish and it's probably the worse pasta dish I've ever tasted. It was suppose to have a cream source but the sauce was so thin that every time I took a bite of the pasta it splashed all over me.

Total bill was 165 thb. Never again this place is a total tourist trap.

As a side note it seems that in Bangkok now it's very difficult to find cheap food centers like in the past. For instance Food For Fun at Siam is new but it's not foreigner friendly. By that I mean that there seems to have been a deliberate effort to move the cooking behind the counter further so you cannot see them cooking the food now. Secondly the menu's there are terrible as there are no pictures anywhere and you're stuck with order from a text menu and hopefully getting something you enjoy without seeing it first.

I'd add the same about Central Chidlom too. Gone is their old normal food court and now they have this upscale place where Pad Thai Scrimp is 70 thb. It seems that in the last two years costs of everything has gone up significantly where as I'm pretty sure people's salaries haven't. So what you have is in affect all this lavish renovation for really doesn't benefit the customer all that much and your pocket is lighter for the privilege.

Can anybody tell me if they still have the normal food center in the basement at Lad Prao or even at MBK?

It seems Central Pattana has redone all their locations which in affect has caused prices to rise dramatically. Gone are the days when you could get caffe yen or cha minao for 15 thb but not are paying 25 thb up that if it's not under some fancy menu by another name.

Now in the more remote locations such as Big C/Lotus you still have the typical food court areas who's prices haven't changed that dramatically but prices have risen noticably more in the main center. I'm a little stunned that the BTS is still the same price but then again I'm sure they cannot afford to run it if people stop using it.

But in general if you're salary hasn't changed much with all these prices going up your standard of living is reduced and slowly if you want an affordable meal in the center you're forced to eat on the street whereas before you could afford to sit down in the food court.

Hi,

"Can anybody tell me if they still have the normal food center in the basement at Lad Prao or even at MBK?"

Had lunch at the foodcourt in the newly opened movietheater place on Victory Monument (shit, I was just there and can't for the live of me remember the name). Food was okay and still fairly cheap. I paid 30 Baht for a bowl of noodles.

They use smart cards for payment rather than coupons btw. Quite convenient.

Sanuk!

khunsanuk said:

... Had lunch at the foodcourt in the newly opened movietheater place on Victory Monument (shit, I was just there and can't for the live of me remember the name). ...

Century Theater. Right at the BTS, direct walkway connection, corner Phayatai Rd and Soi Rang Naam.

Archived