decent gym

colonel Kurtz

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to Have rocky's gym across from the asian hotel.Not sure if it is still there or not.. about 800 bhat a month. There is a Clark hatch at the amari watergate on Phetburi for about 18000 a year. Also have the Novetel at siam square for 14000ish. The best one is the Olympic club at Patumwan princess in MBK for 24000. All of them are within walking distance of Ratchevee BTS

Good to see an endorsement of the olympic club. It served me well for many years and best one i could find after an extensive search..

Now i am looking for a decent one in Chiang Mai but boy is it a poor selection so far. Really disappointing considering the size and tourist area that CM is.. Any recommedations?

If anyone looking for a business venture in CM, this would be one idea. You would have no decent competition from what i have seen...

The golfing is great up here though!

CB

The glitzy ones are impossible to nail down for cost without subjecting yourself to hard-sell tour. I went to California Wow on Sukhumvit as my New Years resolution is to shed 10 kilos (not to be confused with the 46 kilos I shed when my ex left last year)...I just wanted to know what they could offer me for a one year membership. After 10 minutes I could still not get a direct answer so I walked out. Anyone know if there is a bottom line membership price there..or at the one in Landmark?

"California Wow on sukumvit has 3 years for 30000."

Really cheap! is the membership valid for work outs in other California centers as well??

If you're into the high end glitzy club but with quite enough free weights, great pool and spa, the Ascott is a place to investigate.

Their bottom price is not clear either. They start pretty high but a friend just got a one year membership for he and his GF for 61000baht. All paid upfront. Great changing rooms as well which I particulary enjoy since lifting weights and the matched body aren't much more than a fond memory ... so I mostly work out in the jacuzzi and eating Aldo's mediterranean food by the pool :p

I belonged to Fitness First in Landmark for nearly three years. I was paying the ridiculous monthly fee of 2,200 baht there for a Gold Membership, but it was month-to-month (charged to my credit card). You paid a small fee upfront, but could quit anytime. Also, you could 'freeze' your membership if out of Thailand for any long period of time - I made a few trips to the US annually.

I moved to Suk Soi 29 and joining California WOW seemed right. However, my first two visits were a waste of time as I got all kinds of mumbo jumbo on the membership plans. Additionally, the constant blaring music was a bit of a turn off.

However, after gaining nearly 10 lbs on a recent visit to the US, I went back. This time I had a very good sales assoc. or whatever who explained the various options clearly. I signed up for three years for about 30,000 baht. If I make it to a 4th year it is about 5,000 baht/year. They threw in a bunch of free stuff and I can go to the club any time (this is a concern if you are looking for a cheaper cost).

The loud music is still going, but wearing headphones and listening to my own works for me. I have lost the 10 lbs already by going 6 days a week. Yes, retirement is grand. :)

Like Fitness First, the eye candy is at times overwhelming. :o

Archived