decent gym

colonel Kurtz

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how about a cheap gym where you dont have to pay shitloads of money to join and commit for a year?

somewhere you can just rock up to now and again and pay 300 baht or so. stick mentioned a place on suk maybe in the soi 23 area but i forget the details...anyone know???

DocThai said:

Was that 30,000 with no extra fees? I asked about that plan and just got a quizzical look. It would make sense for them to sell that plan as most people drop out quickly... but for me it would be ideal, especially if memebership can be used at any of their clubs.

Yes, the total came to a charge of about $710.00US on my credit card. It included the joining fee which was reduced for their "One Year Anniversity" at Suk 23. They always seems to have some sort of special going on.

I agree with your comment on the plan working for them in most cases. But, I have been going 6 times a week and hope to keep going.

I was told that my membership was good only at the Suk 23 center, but it could be transferred to another. Not like Fitness first though: I used my membership at the Landmark in KL and Manila with no problems while visiting.

Pasathai,

I was a member for five years at the olympic club. I have never seen a better club in bkk for everything one gets...

It has the complete package with western service. Someone did some training here no doubt!

Would you elaborate about the towel scam? Never had a problem. They do charge for a lost towel if that what you mean? I would be very surprised if there is any monkey business going on here to generate any revenue..

I have left some items in the lockers and able to retrieve them from the lost and found at a later date which tells me least the staff during this episodes didn't plifer personal items..

They do have some cuties at the recption counter but one thing i have noticed is the high turnover of floor service staff because the manager is not well-liked for being an hard-ass and was told just doesn't have warm and fuzzy interpersoanl skills that thais like. I was also told that some other clubs pay their staff better than PP hotel..

The best pool in bkk and throw in the squash, tennis , badminton and ping pong facilities and it is hard to beat overall!

Ton of new aerobic machines, free weights and machine weights even to meet the hard core weightlifting types..

The guest fee should be cheaper and the number of free passes with longer expiration times for members could be better.

It has a huge gay population but who cares. Definately a white collar crowd feeling to the place...

CB

"It has the complete package with western service."

Wont not go that far!!!. I left the gym after having to perform CPR on a hotel guest at the pool. (he never made it). All the thai staff just looked on like grazing buffaloes. Took the ambulance an hour to get there despite 3 hospitals within walking distance. Dont think they called the ambulance for 30 mins even after instructions to. Took them 45 mins to find the CPR kit. Fucking idiots!!!

The Flaming guys drove me out of a locker room as they were having a discussion on what assholes were the tightest. Their conclusion was that thai asses were better to screw. Plus the frolicking in the stream room and showers was a bit much. Hopefully they will listen to the "one person per shower or your membership will be terminated" rule . Also watch out for the video camera feed in the locker room ( mens only) which is directly wired into the gay managers office. Just know he likes his white meat!

WYD,

Obviously i was referring to routine day to day service like fixing equipment when told broken, being professional and polite, following up on issues, being accountable for small tasks, etc

As to being properly trained in CPR and local emeregency medical response, i will tell you am not a bit surprised what transpired in your story.... I will be the first one to tell you (my background is health care admin and health/safety) LOS in general is probably closer to third world emergency medicine when it comes to disaster preparedeness, EMS systems and training, amulance/paramedic services, trauma care and emergency medical care in general. I have cited a few times on this board my concerns about being over here if i or any falang needed emergency and CPR in public settings. It is basically non-existent or sub-standard and i would guess many people die everyday out in the community that would be saved if america strictly based on having an excellent EMS system in place.

In all fairness, LOS is at the walking stage of medical care and specialties like advanced emergency care, EMS systems, mobile advanced life support systems, community CPR training and the like, the light bulb has yet to go on. It will be many many years before Thailand will even be close to what we have in america and am not sure if they will ever get to our preparedness, compliance and training levels - a different culture and economic situation..

As to your gay comments (plenty of both thai and falang members), I have never had a problem or run in or ever felt uncomfortable around them. I just keep to myself and never engaged in any small talk. Mind my own business motto! Did find the posting of those little signs in the shower as an inappropriate way of handling that particular situation. As to the camera, always kept my towel on so they wouldn't get any playgirl pin-up stuff....

CB

cardinalblue

"Would you elaborate about the towel scam? Never had a problem. They do charge for a lost towel if that what you mean? I would be very surprised if there is any monkey business going on here to generate any revenue.."

My daughter used their gym ( p. princess hotel gym) for one year, had her towel taken, ( the towel they issue there)

staff demanded a high fee ( way more than value of towel)

after I complained to the managment and on this form and soc.culture.thai news group the money was refunded ( supprusingly) and even more of a supprise, they apologized.

Probably a petty scam by some of the workers, managmet probably unaware of it.

Archived