Is it the Girl or is it the Scene

bust

[color:"blue"] Chelseafan, we are talking about the pay for play scene here and the vast majority of it in Thailand is definately for Thai men. The only thing is you never see it as it is behind closed doors and they don't parade about the street with the girls. Yes tourism is important to Thailand but as others have said no way its 60% of there income. May i suggest next time you come over you look around the plane, the vast majority of the passegers will be normal couples/families and not sex tourists.

Simie.

[/color]

I asked my Thai male friends about this, they all said this true. 2 of them even said "Thai men normally don't share the women with foreigners!"

No way that 60% of income is from tourists, less than 10% is likely correct as some of you gentlemen posted.

But certain people probably have 100% income on the SEX tourists, not the majority Thai population, thanks God. ::

Ahh certain people like to treat certain tourists as a "white knight" though, for lunches, bus/plane tickets or whatever they can get out of them. It is sad for me, nowadays, ones can't even be sure people really like you because of your $ or just the good old you. :banghead:

Jasmine

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

farangs translates as "foreigners" so the other asian groups you mention surely would qualify.

As posted previously the word 'farang' means western foreigners. Asians and Africans do not qualify as 'farang'. Not even Indians (from India) are called 'farang'. I think they are refered to as kaek. Bear in mind that Thailand is one of the most Racist countries in the world.

regards

ALHOLK

I have actually heard both...Farang means westerner, speicifically whhite, and I have heard it used to mean all forigners...have also heard each group refered to by their own title...there is supposedly a more formal or polit way to call "tourists" or forigners, but it is seldom used...or so I was told by my Thai teacher... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Hi!

I always thought that the Asians knows the protocol of not bringing their prostitutes into the open.

In difference to you I grew in a society where, at least formally, all people have the same value. Personally I will take a woman who charges by the hour before a woman who wants all you got 10 times out off 9.

I always thought that what ones do behind closed doors should not be paraded in public.

What one does behind closed door could only be paraded in public if the session was video taped. There have been several posts about this from western men living in Thailand with Thai wives. Many Thai people regard a Thai woman with a farang as a prostitute. This does not only apply to to Thailand. The same thing occurs in Sweden. I know of Thai ladies in Sweden that are in my age group, and probably your's, that came here a long time ago and have never been hookers. They will still be regarded as such because the are Thai.

regards

ALHOLK

The truth I don't care you guys take them out, they need a break, but do you mind being discreet, either in dressing or manners? Being discreet may get you "farangs" (I hate this word) a little more respect, perhaps, if you want the Thais to give tourists who they know go to Thailand to do things more than the culture, some respect.

Jas:

When a guy barfines a BG, she changes out of her BG uniform and into her street clothes which in most cases is a pair of jeans and a shirt that may or may not be sleeveless. Regardless, she will be tagged as a BG by thais who see her (and yes non-BGs get the same tag when travelling with a farang). If the girl does dress like a whore then no need to take her outside of lower Suk but that is just my personal preference. Most don't.

By discreet what you really mean and what others in thailand expect is that the farang (or thai guy) customer should not be out and about with a BG.

But here is the problem. (This rant is not at you but thais in general). We tourists don't give a fuck to put it bluntly what thais think of BGs. While expats in LOS cannot afford to bring the scorn that comes with being in public with BGs, tourists have some more freedom. This causes tension between expats and tourists as can sometimes be seen from posts on this board. Expats would also like the tourists to be discreet since it gives expats a bad name amongst the thais.

But all of this is the reason i like being a visitor in LOS instead of living there. I do not have to adhere to the biggoted and condescending attitude of thais toward their lowest class citizens (issan girls whether BGs or not). If we want, we can even put these girls up on a pedestal and god forbid actually treat them like human beings instead of some untouchable who needs to be kept in a dark corner and out of site from those morally and racially superior thais.

While one has to adapt to their host country, some things you should refuse to adapt to. Especially if the only consequence is some embarassment. Let the thais get embarassed about it i don't live there and i don't give a shit what they think.

I'm certain thais don't give a shit what i think about the thais who go about their relentless scams in the tourist areas while the police look on. I'm sure they don't care what i think about the hiso thais and their fucked up class system.

So we are all even.

:xmsgrin:

:xmascheer

Old Hippie said:

"...However, 6% still equates to 8billion baht for the economy and I suspect OH has a lot of to do with that ..."

Actually, I had a little help from Fiery Jack and Lusty... :)

Now that I think about it, Stickman and Whosyourdaddy helpped as well... :):stirthepo :stirthepo :stirthepo :stirthepo :wave:

Compare the numbers for 2003 (last year for actual numbers) from the Bank of Thailand for GDP and Tourism Authority of Thailand for Tourism revenue:

International: Approx. 6%

Domestic (Thai): Approx. 4%

Total tourism as % of GDP: 10%.

I find surprising that domestic tourism is such a large %.

<<burp>>

Gummi,

"I find surprising that domestic tourism is such a large %."

I don't myself. Here in Surin the Thais I know, middle class, neighbors, do lots of touring around the country on the long holiday weekends. Every year my friend Dee goes somewhere with his Thai buddies and their families, maybe three times a year at least. They plan a trip up to Loei or somewhere else to camp, or Saraburi, or Sukhothai, jump in their SUV's and take off for three or four days. Lots of driving about the country. I actually thought the numbers might be higher than this. Every place I go here to see a touristy site or cultural site there are many many more Thais as tourists at the place than farangs. Just went to Saraburi for the sunflower festival and Phra Buddhabat for the Buddha's footprint temple myself recently. All Thais, and the places were very crowded as well. Hardly any farang tourists.

Stopped in the Seven Little Sister's waterfalls park and the fucking place was MOBBED with thousands of Thais swimming in the waterfall pools. Literally thousands. Looked like the Woodstock festival for God's sake! (Was nice to see all the young Thai ladies soaking wet as well. Much nice ... err ... scenery to enjoy there.) Holiday weekends many Thais travel around the country. Also went through the vineyards up there and there were tons of Thais walking through the area with their families, wine-tasting and buying grapes and such stuff.

At the Saraburi sunflower festival the fields were full of Thais, not farang, and all the foodstalls and t-shirt shops, and places selling raw honey and roasted sunflower seeds were being patronized by Thais. Hardly a farang in sight besides me.

So no, those figures do not really surprise me at all. I think they might even be a bit low really.

Cent

Archived