Do You want to see it end...?

Old Hippie

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just look like confucious (sans mustache).

itsmedave said:

Well, the most glaring western viewpoint is that they can do anything their family hasn't authorized or even initiated.

That's not a glaring western viewpoint. It does happen. A lot depends on the family etc...

What you cite are dysfunctional families. There are plenty of poor families who are not so dysfunctional which are supportive of non-spread your ass occupations.

itsmedave said:

And again, I'm not talking about surviving, or following in the usual manner of family history...I'm talking about doing something with their lives that would enable their children to be well educated (something that is unheard of in most of their families)

Now there is an example of "western values". Children being "better" than their parents.

itsmedave said:

The skills and impetus of this kind of thinking [getting ahead] and planning does not come from maid or factory work. If it did, then their families would not be in this situation now.

Of course the motivation/impetus does not come from a job. That makes no sense.

Motivation comes from within oneself to do something about it and the fortitude to put in the work. Maid and factory work are skills that aren't hard to acquire.

One can be a factory floor manager, food vendor, what have you and provide a Thai MIDDLE CLASS lifestyle with little or no education. It is not impossible and not hard if one is willing to put in the work.

itsmedave said:

To live as one of the underclass in this system, it is very unlikely that you will be able to break through to the middle class or higher (especially with no education...which the "system" makes it nearly impossible to get

Very unlikely, true. Same is true in the US. Look at economic class movement in the US. It is very very poor. The thing is that the opportunity is there.

And yah know what, the opportunity is here to in Thailand.

I've highlighted several ways that it IS true. Not going to belabor the point.

Again, I'm not arguing against the closure of prostitution, but saying that it's the only vehicle a poor Thai can get ahead. That's untrue and demeaning to the folks who work hard.

itsmedave said:

Why do you suppose that in a thousand years of independance, Thai's have crafted a country where such a high percentage of the population are poor and uneducated?

Maybe because until the very recent focus on materialism, there wasn't a "need" to be rich and educated. Food was freely available year round (just go pick it off the tree or from the sea). Focus was more on quality of life. The thai concept of sanuk. No planning was necessary in life because you didn't have to really plan for winter.

<<burp>>

Ah . . . . to bring back the old days . . . of Bangkok.

When the gals would actually look at a fat, aging, old, Western gentleman . . . . .

The motobikes were all 2 cycle. Lots of smoke as they drove by. Hard to find a taxi but many tuk-tuks.

The ground floor of Nana Plaza was a parking lot.

Ah . . . the memories . . .

Archived