Thai word translation

asiafun

During a recent shopping trip at the floating market (see my trip report) I found my boatdriver using the word which sounded like ---tawking--- He would warn the shopkeepers using this word as soon as we pulled up. I was hoping to hear what exactly this means.

asiafun said:

My Thai sux, I am still learning basic words...

You and me both mate!

OK I may know 2-3 more words than you do, but to me it is more context than the actual words themselves. With English (please excuse my ignorance about other western languages)you can make a remark that is unambigious, but for me in Thai it goes deeper.

A very Simple example, lets imagine 2 phrases spoken by a BG and a GTG about a Farang.

Jai Dee Mak

BG . Very Good Heart Spends Lots of Money

GTG . Stupid Old Fool Throwing his Money around

Khi Neow

BG . Tight Arsed Bastard

GTG . Sensible

Over the years I now find Jai Dee as an insult, meaning Stupid and Khi Neow as a compliment meaning wise. The more you know the less you really understand, I have thais tell me English is difficult with Idioms such as "Six Feet Under" and "Kick the Bucket"

My Reply

What is "A Dog Staring at Airplane Wing"? (one of my favouite thai idioms :))

I think the point I am trying to make is, it is not the actual transliteration of a word or phrase, but the tone in which one percieves it. Having read your floating market thread I know your Bullshit Deflectors were at DEFCON 1 so the survival instincts are still honed.

I will pass it thru the wifes ears this weekend if she is till talking to me, alledgedy I said something to her auntie on New Years Day that upset her, my tones were perfect it was the stray eyebrow hair that changed the context.

Enjoy Learning ... Most of us still are!

Funny bit true... One small nuance can chnage the whole meaning of anything in thai. No slack if your a farang either they seem to assume the worst in most cases.

Yes anytime I risk baht or my ass, bullshit detectors are on max sensitivity!

Archived