On building a house!

limbo

Cement.

My wife rings up a pre-mix bizzo and gets a price on cement, she did'nt quite grasp the concept of Cubic meters but she came back with a price of 1245bt for a truck load which I think is about 5 cubic meters.

I know things are cheaper in Thailand but this does'nt sound right...

can anyone get me on the right track?

Cheers...FA.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ti Gun Kwam lawn is the offical name of insulation in Thai. I just asked for fiberglass and they knew it. This is the brand I used. THe website has it in thai as well as pictures. Should make it easier to communicate. It does make a huge difference in heat and sounds. for about 2500 bhat per rstardard size oom it is well worth it!!

Got mine at Homepro for about 200B a roll. ( 10 feetx 2 feetishx 4inches)

Homeworks also has it. Homepro has many branches all over the city. Homeworks are found in Central Bangna and a few other locations.

You might want to think about the spray foam. Here is a place that will install it for you . http://www.cellumax.net/lf-5a.htm. There is also a place in Seri center , 2nd floor that specializes in all types of insulation from pipes, ceiling and sound control. I would be interested in what type of price you get on the foam. The main reason I did not go for the spray foam is the cross winds that you get in the ceilings. I preferred the bagged insulations; thought the foam may get blown around. So far I have 4-4 kill ratio everytime I put the rat trap in the ceiling. I thought the foam insulation would provide a great place for the little bastards to hang out in also.

For cement I think it was about 250 bhat per 50 kg bag including sand 4-1 mix. Price for the stardard 50 KG Green bag went up to 125 recently. One bag and sand would do just under 1m cubed by my guess.There are 3 different grades of cement and about 4 different sand/gravel mixtures that they use depending on if you are using it for walls or floor etc. We hand mixed ours in a big bucket. They just mix to what they think is normal. Would prefer a more scientific mixing process instead of eyeballing it, as concrete varies in strength widely depending on consistancy. But TIT, and thus cracks develop all the time. Concrete prices have gone up about 10% in the past few months due to gas prices. Rural areas will be cheaper than BKK.

Well they have the foundation almost set! They placed 10 pillars into the ground with block almost a meter deep and almost 2 above the ground! They will pour the floor at right at .50 meters with rebar and steel. The pvc pipes for drain and sewage is being put into place before they do the floor. It's kinda funny seeing so many Thai guys hanging all over the walls doing mason work. They have set the walls and are waiting for 3 days for it all to firm up. These guys work really hard from day break till night! After they put the roof up, do the foundation and some of the walls it's 35,000 baht or 1st payment. Only one left when all work is done!

We've counted all the supplies and everything is here! Already spent 106,431 baht on:

Cement, blocks, plaster, pillars, rebar, steel, fillers, sand.

Roof, roof tiles, roof bars, roof supports, roof frame.

Doors inside and outside, windows, screens, locks.

water heater, shower water units, toilets, pvc schedule 40, drain, water pipes, sinks, pumps.

Fans, lights, wiring.

Still need to pay 35,000 next week and 50,000 when finished!

We also need to buy:

Water stainless steel holding tank, aircon-for our bedroom only and a few other things!

I want to get it all right at 260,000 baht and we are on schedule-so far!

jep dii

Your not wrong, the air con/ electricity bill was 1600 baht in april/ songkarn last year compared with 600 last month. Not a massive difference costwise but when you consider the difference is not having to work the a/c unit flat out or wait 3 hours for the room to get down to temp, thats when it's worth it.

My bedroom is 23.6sq,m x 5 metre ceilings. By lowering the ceilings by at the least 2 meters I should effectivly decrease the cubic area by 40%. combined with insulation this would become a lot more economic to cool and maintain-temp wise.

as far as cement goes I just had 50 bags delivered, I thought they were 40kg bags, we paid 90 baht each, allthough I'm not sure how many are going to be actually used. By the way we are out in Bahn Nok territory. We are rendering the brick walls on both sides and to the rear of our property, and looking at about 320 square meteres of plaster not including the tops or the neighbors sides of the wall. When I was asking about cement before I was talking about pre-mix deliverys for a driveway that I want done soon, I don't think theyre gonna offer 32mpa or simmilar but I like the idea of having consistency and the driveway itself will be about 40 metres in length so I think it would be better to arrange deliverys.

I don't know if its just the guys that are working on my place at the moment but is it common to pay a daily rate plus a bottle of whiskey?

• 4 weeks later...

The foam insulation you refer to is sprayed onto the roof tiles and forms a solid and I mean very solid 2" thick inner wall. I have put it on all my 8 houses here and I think its outstanding. One additional benefit often overlooked is that it also seals any gaps in the tiles rendering the roof effectively waterproof and once applied, you need a sledge hammer to remove the roof tiles - instantly making the roof virtually impossible to access for a thief. There is no chance that this stuff will blow away if its correctly installed by a specilaist contractor.

Archived