On building a house!

limbo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is the first house that you have built, I would suggest to spend $$$ on:

roof (don't want leaks)

insulation (keep the cost for cooling down)

windows/doors (keep it secure and better insulation)

if you do the internet, etc; put LAN/Audio/Video cables into the walls so as to have what you want available in the entire house

security system? if needed, wire it in now.

The second time you build, is always better! I know from experience ::

We just finished our last room. ( for now)

Look at your budget going way up!. We are never on budget especially since I work along side the guys and always upgrade things. The final costs tend to be at least 20% more than expected.

Yes agree with proper windows. Blocks out sound, insects and keeps the cool air in. Look at about 10K per stardard size window ( 2 sq meters) window for aluminium or 17K for uPVC. Wooded windows just dont fit right and the slotted glass is as good as a plastic bag over the window.

I love the 4 inch insulation I put in the ceiling. Good soundproofing and makes a huge difference in the day.

We put in a wireless Security system with phone dialing. Same price as wired. ( 30K)

Dont forget about all the extras.. water tank ( 7K) , Water pump ( 7k) Hot water heater - shower ( 4k), Mosiquto screens ( 500B per window), Gutters ( 300-450 per meter), Proper locks, bars or security system ( must have) .

Good luck and have fun

[color:"green"] We hired an old man in her village to build the house! We'll give him in total around 70,000 over the next 3 in a half months! [/color]

Have you inspected houses he has previously built? Be sure you are getting QUALITY materials and parts. Pay close attention to the septic system!

shygye said:

[color:"green"] We hired an old man in her village to build the house! We'll give him in total around 70,000 over the next 3 in a half months! [/color]

Have you inspected houses he has previously built? Be sure you are getting QUALITY materials and parts. Pay close attention to the septic system!

We are buying all the materials and he and his crew are building the house! He is the main builder of houses in my wifes village! This old man has between 5 and 10 men working for him and takes between 2 and 3 months to build the house. His fee structure is a little higher then I originally thought! It's 35,000 baht after the pillars and roof and the other 50,000 baht after he finishes! 85,000 more to the builder not 70,000. However, I like the pay structure! This fee also includes water pipes but not electrical hook up, he provides this for an additional 10,000 baht!

Jep dii

I started one about 3 years ago, I wanted it done my way not theirs. So 3 years ago I marched up there with my laptop under my arm and a bunch of plans of my dream (mainly wooden ) house. What a waste of time, the builders didn't even know how to start up a computor let alone understand an Autocad drawing. So had taken the precaution of doing lots of nice pictures even a 3 D drawing, wasted our time again. They showed me what they worked off, apparently some guy in the goverment office suppliments his income by doing the drawings for the local builder. He MUST do them. They were the sort of drawings a secondary school pupil would do with a pencil and T square, very few dimensions, no design calculations. Just work on, if it looks OK it must be principal.

Insulation ! What the fuks that ? drainage, guttering, earthed wiring etc same response , never heard of it.

Nice people but what a bunch of Dodo's, this year I will do what a mate of mine did, go up ther hire some lifters and build it myself. He did his in Khon Kaen and had it to roof on stage in 3 weeks, next trip back and another 3 weeks finished. The local builder had quoted him the usual 12 weeks +.

Archived