On building a house!

limbo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fatbastard said:

I started one about 3 years ago, I wanted it done my way not theirs. So 3 years ago I marched up there with my laptop under my arm and a bunch of plans of my dream (mainly wooden ) house. What a waste of time, the builders didn't even know how to start up a computor let alone understand an Autocad drawing. So had taken the precaution of doing lots of nice pictures even a 3 D drawing, wasted our time again. They showed me what they worked off, apparently some guy in the goverment office suppliments his income by doing the drawings for the local builder. He MUST do them. They were the sort of drawings a secondary school pupil would do with a pencil and T square, very few dimensions, no design calculations. Just work on, if it looks OK it must be principal.

Insulation ! What the fuks that ? drainage, guttering, earthed wiring etc same response , never heard of it.

Nice people but what a bunch of Dodo's, this year I will do what a mate of mine did, go up ther hire some lifters and build it myself. He did his in Khon Kaen and had it to roof on stage in 3 weeks, next trip back and another 3 weeks finished. The local builder had quoted him the usual 12 weeks +.

Well, this is why I've mainly left it up to my wife to get it all done! I'm sure that given enough time with any Thai builder I might just yell at someone and cause the family to loose face!

I also gave up long ago to try and understand why Thai people do the things they do...I just accept it as common and avoid most things of issue!

Jep dii

You might also keep an eagle eye on any contractor that you hire. My TGF, when she built her house, she had several Thai contractors run away with 300,000 Baht of her money, plus others that did terrible plumbing work!

You have to be hands-on, at all times. Glue that smile on your face and go for it ::

Our house is almost done. It cost 1,000,000 baht. Fortunately her father used to do this type of work and he did an excellent job. I know because I used to build houses as well.

The only thing I need to do on the next visit is deal with a drainage issue to create a drainage field. Other than that the place is great.

Three bedrooms, two baths with flushing toilets, and central air. Granite tile throughout and ornately carved ceilings. The place is better than anything I can buy in the states that would cost 5 times as much.

Now I just have to figure out how to make the move over there. We will live in the U.S. for a while (if there are no problems with the visa) then make it a permanent move to LOS.

Chiang Rai. It is nice and quiet in the area where our house is being built. No trouble and plenty of her family is around to make sure nothing will happen to the house when she comes to the states.

Her father and mother will make sure of that. Her father even told my wife that he cares more for me than his own son who is nothing but a money grubbing leech. His words more or less.

I built a house with a former gf in Udon two years ago, it was actually a pretty good experience as she had asked around a lot and found an excellent builder.

We purchased all the materials, shopping around for the best prices; they really can vary place to place so it was time well spent. Make sure you are on hand for all deliveries and count every tile, brick and cement sack. If you are buying wooden windows and doors, cherry-pick at the warehouse and mark each one you pick, quality can vary considerably.

The most important suggestion I'll make is that you be on hand for the wiring and make sure he grounds the system. They are usually not particularly clear on the concept, I set a 2.5 meter length of 1.5 cm re-bar into the earth to chorus's of "Farang ba!" They generally only use two wire cable so a separate grounding wire has to be run.

Also, make sure ALL cement poured is re-inforced, I learned this the hard way, a large corner of a paved patio area broke off after a heavy rain; only then did I realize it hadn't had wire mesh implanted.

you could have some wood as long as it is teak or another hardwood that termites will not devour.

Electrial security systems are useless once the wire(s) to the house have been cut. Grates over the windows (and doors) are better, although they can be removed. It's probably best to have a couple (if not more) mean looking canines, and keep them hungry!

Insulation ... yes, that is available, although it's efficacy will be reduced greatly by the single pane windows you'll most likely end up with. I know one guy that claims he saw double pane windows somewhere in Bangkok; but, I'm noT sure where.

The way (and depth of) the concrete foundation is laid is very important. Make sure it doesn't go down merely on clay. The clay should be pounded down (by hand tools if necessary); and then a bed of crushed stone should go down and also be compacted. Then the conrete can be laid.

Good luck!

"I know one guy that claims he saw double pane windows somewhere in Bangkok; but, I'm noT sure where."

Double windows are available here.

http://www.hevta.com/HEVTAProject/index.htm

I have a 2meter double pain and paid 17000. Single pain would have been about 11000 for the same window.

There is also a place on Sukumvit 101/1 around soi 50 that has Thyssen Polymer windows from Germany. Double pain 20mm windows. Same price 02-751 9544-5

Veka Thailand also has triple pane windows. Not sure of the price/ http://www.phuketdir.com/prasertvinyl/

I am looking for add on sound windows. I have seen them at some hotels but cant find them. Any ideas??

Both companies have English Speaking staff.

I need some insulation before songkarn. My Idoit father in law built our house (mainly while I was in Aus) and put 5 meter ceilings in all bedrooms-go figure? anyhow they'll be replaced with a three meter ceilings and at the same time insulation if I can find it.

I approached my father in law with at thai english dictionary and showed him the word insulation, he starts thinking along the lines of electric motors(insulators) and that I need to be ripped of more but only how?

Insulation if someone has a Thai translation in Thai and roman charachters can they PLEASE e-mail it to me. also does anyone one know of somewhere that sells it maybee even installs? Im in Uttaradit, probably the only place in Thailand you can't buy a picture hook!

Cheers...FA.

Archived