On building a house!

limbo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I heard of people building boat piers using fiberglass planks, say 10" wide, by 2" thick, by 12' long, something like this.

Does anyone know if these are available in Thailand?"

Most certainly.. my mind is a blank and forget the name of the boards in thai. But they come in a variety of sizes. I have seen them up to 5 inches wide.. More like siding on a house type

Sir ,

not exactly sure what you mean by fiberglass planks . Planks made of pure fiber would not work due to instability , fiberglass is a flexible thing . On early fiberglass boats people used wooden planks encapsulating them with fiberglass . Bad idea, fiberglass is porous and the wooden interior will be rotten one day , producing romantic smell . I understand you want to put a second floor on your castle ; best idea if you don't like wood is a steel frame and put prefabricated thin concrete plates on top of that . Though you won't get any soundproof ceiling , this system works like a drum . it will further need a layer of thin concrete to get stability . I would use wood if I was you . Do a guided tour through the Jim Thompson house , no ants anywhere . Maybe they could advise you about the way they keep the building in proper shape . Skytrain : National Stadium :wave:

BuBi

>>>"I am a little shy to use wood as we had to replace a door frame, which was wood, as the little buggers had a buffet with it."

If the door was on the ground floor this may explain why it was attacked. A common Thai construction method is to stand the door frames before concrete is poured for the floor. Done improperly this can leave the door frame in direct contact with the soil which leaves an excellent path for termites. Use the right kind of wood for your balcony and there shouldn't be a problem with insects but the weather is another story.

Archived