Bangkok terror attack warning

BuffHello

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a well known fact that Bangkok is a vital transition point for extremist groups. When you walk around Soi 3 1/2 and it feels like your in a scene from some docu on terrorism your not far from the truth. Bangkok is the main stopover point for a lot of middle eastern countries. It is a known fact that most of the 9/11 terrorists spent time in Bangkok and meetings between Hambali and senior Jemaah Islamiyah leaders often took place in Bangkok. Hambali was actually arrested in Ayuithaya if I remember correctly. I've alo heard the talk of NP or SC being a prime target but reality is it is highly unlikely they would target anything so close to such an important part of their operations. The seperatist issue going on in the south are in no way related to what IDSS are referring to.

do not agree Limbo. bombings in Indonesia (Kuta beach, JW Mariott Hotel) have shown that they mainly target places where there are a lot of western (american) tourists. but i guess from the well known spots Khao Saan road, Patpong, Patong or any hotel of the american chains would be a higher priority target than SC or NEP

[color:"red"]

IMO NP and SC are the least likely targets.

Y bother with some whoremongers when you can blow up Paragon or the Grand Palace or either high profile buildings/sites. [/color]

I disagree.

look at the war in Iraq. When large numbers of civilians are killed or Iraqi soldiers/police, nobody cares. But when a coalition soldier gets killed, it is big news.

If Paragon was targeted, it would not get mentioned on the front page of International newspapers unless falangs get killed. If falangs are not involved, it probably would not be mentioned.

As for the Grand Palace; an attack there would 'arm' every Thai against the enemy.

But if an establishment is target and falangs die, it would get world wide attention probably on the front page of most papers. This kind of an attack might even cripple Thailand's tourist trade which could topple the economy.

One of the biggest eye brow raisers I have seen is the ice delivery truck that drives into the center of NEP in the afternoon. That truck can get in without any questions so I assume a second delivery truck could also. No security but then who cares?

From what I can see, NEP and SC are both soft targets.

Like I said before the possibility of something being targetted in Bangkok is highly unlikely. You don't shit in your own backyard. There are any number of prime targets in BKK but the likelyhood of it happening is slim. Unless of course they find another transition point in Asia. Singapore, KL perhaps. Anyone know what the Arab population is in BKK? I think if there is any such strike it would be by some small splinter group and less face it they are virtually impossible to keep tabs on once they leave a cell.

Like I said before the possibility of something being targetted in Bangkok is highly unlikely. You don't shit in your own backyard.

If you are right, then who are the ones doing the terrorist type activities in Iraq and Afghanastan?

Actually it has been in the Bangkok Post many times that Bangkok is a target. Just a few years ago before the Apec Summit, one character had plans on taking out planes coming and going from Bangkok. Fortunately he was captured. He was one of the higher ranking terrorist on the wanted list.

bust1 said: Anyone know what the Arab population is in BKK?

Virtually nonexistent. Only ones I've ever met were Lebanese Christians.

Lots of Muslim though, mainly ethnic Thais from the south or descendants of Pakistani/Bangladeshi immigrants from then British India. No problem with them. But in recent years one does see many more ethnic Malay Muslims from the three southernmost provinces. The average Thai Muslim is indistinguishable from any other Thai, except that the women may wear a headscarf and long sleeves. (Probably just as many do not.) However, the Malay Thais clearly stand out, with the men wearing beards, Muslim caps and even the long Malay style sarong. Any terrorist attack in Bangkok would come down hard on them.

p.s. Amongst the alleged targets marked on a map taken when Ham-bali was captured were the Israeli guest houses and restaurants near KSR!

Archived