Bangkok terror attack warning

BuffHello

It really depends how strategic the terrorists really are. Al Quida seems to be extremely clever in choosing their targets, have superiors skills in making bombs and seem to be experts in planning and execution of their plans.

The southern terrorists still seem to be much more basic in planning, technique and execution.

It seems that the different terror groups are get mixed up in the discussion here. Different groups have different aims, different targets and means. In Bangkok there are so many targets (public transport like Skytrain/subway during rush hour, huge luxury department stores, big discos/clubs, sprawling markets e.g. that the terrorists can hit everywhere. Just have a look at the different attacks in London, Madrid, Bali, Indonesia, e.g.

IMHO it's quite fruitless to try to predict what will happen. If the terrorist want to hit, they will hit wherever they want.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bust1 said:

Those who died in the south in 2002 I think it was was not related to what we ae disccussing now. There is a big difference between an act of terrorism and the "WAR ON TERROR" A lot of what's happening in Iraq and Afghanistan at the moment is a power struggle nothing to do with terrorism. It a internal battle now to find out who will control what. Sure there is the ongoing jihad against the infidel but some of it at times becomes blurred especially with some media outlets.

Actually I think it's come down to a battle over American prestige (can smart bombs beat guys in sandals)...much like what happened in Vietnam. But maybe that's for a different thread.

I agree but disagree.

I agree that farang targets would be more likely, but disagree that hotels would be the most effective target, simply because there are so many of them, whereas most of the venues attracting the most farang tourists are comparatively concentrated. One bomb inside NEP would destroy the tourist business for a couple of years or more. It's an exceedingly obvious target, IMO.

Whats to say the militants in Jemaah Islamiya decide to spread their brand of salafi islam north into Thailand and instigate a bombing campaign in BKK with or without the knowledge of the local imams knowing full well it will force a huge shit storm.

Many Thai muslims get slaughtered to include innocents and the extremists get to show a bunch of martyrs and force the Thai fence sitters to join the radicals, drum up support from outside the region, justify their own interference in the liberation of the south in their efforts to create an asian caliphate.

I can't comment because I really don't know how it works down there or how much popular support the JI people have. I don't know whether there is any communication between the separatist leaders and the Thai government or not. It is significant that nothing has happened in Bangkok so far.

I dont know why we need to debate the exact target. If I remember there were three or four bombs in London.

Is it not possible that a well thought out attack could have one bomb on the skytrain,one in a NP/SC and one at KS rd or a five star hotel or a resort. They did it in Madrid,London,and New York as well as attacks on Washington. There places didnt have one focal point of attck,so why does it have to be onlyone in Bangkok.

Hope its not of course but you can never count this out,which is so shit.

I think the terrorist will look for soft targets. Marriott Hotel, with their secrity, is not a soft target.

The revenge element has to be considered especially in light of the mosgue that was attacked, the deaths that occurred there and then the deaths by suffocation of those who were transported in trucks like kindling wood. This is all recent events still in southern Thailand and has many Thais worried in Bangkok.

As for a tourist who is raped and murdered getting more attention then a falang with a plastic bag over his head, all you have to do is look at the news section. A falang with a plastic bag over his head is looked upon as one who got what he deserved in many cases. But if a bomb was detonated in SC or NEP, I think everybody on this board wold say first "Oh my god!"

If the Thais suspect Bangkok is a target, and if Bangkok has been a target in the past, then I would assume Bangkok probably is a target.

When I start seeing just a little bit of security in SC or NEP, then I might feel a little bit comfortable. Right now, both looking like inviting targets.

Archived