Is Northwest Airlines going to strike?

longwoodguy74

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well as far as Northwest goes when I was in Minneapolis flying back from BKK I actually saw two mechanics outside still picketing back in November.

I think their union totally fucked them. They alienated the other unions who basically told them to get bent after they made comments stating that they were all skilled workers unlike the ground crew who they were hoping would support them. Plus the fact that the union who represents the ground crews was pissed because the mechanics union stole the mechanics from their union originally.

They figured that NWA would not be able to make it without them and they would not budge on the bargaining. Northwest knew what was coming and had people in the wings waiting to replace them.

Considering how bad of shape the industry is in now the union should have done something to try to keep these people employed. When NWA knew they had the union by the balls they went for blood stating that they were going to get rid of all of the cleaners who were also part of the same union. The union still was not willing to really negotiate and when they finally did it was too late.

It's a shame really seeing those people lose their jobs. Now NWA is trying to stick it to the flight attendants, ground crews, and pilots. If the unions do not agree to new contracts then NWA is going to the judge handling their bankruptcy and asking for all the current contracts to be voided.

Who knows what could happen. Especially if the pilots walk.

KRML,

You got it spot on dude, the union for the mechanics called "Aricraft Mechanics Fraternal Association" (AMFA) is also known to many as "SCAMFA" Basically not a Union at all, a Business firm/management group, and a law firm...they are a sham for sure...they got in at Masaba years back, fucked them up, got into Alaska, fucked them, got into NWA, fucked them, got into United, and are fucking us, we are most likely going to vote them out very soon.

"SCAMFA" made a career out of bad mouthing the Maschinist union, and their stand on Union solidarity. Their premis was "mechanics are skilled labor, dick everyone else over, and give us he money..." An attitude similar to Managements "we are educated, make big decisions, fuck you guys, give us all the money..."

I was against this union (AMFA) from the start, but they sold themselves to a bunch of spoiled young punks who had no clue of what a union is, or of what struggles took place to get the wages and benifits we had. They were wrong, got greedy, and we all got fucked as a result...Sadly, it will become industry standard, and the quality of travel will go down as a result. Safety might as well, as out sourcing to unlicensed 3rd world countries an low wage paying places in the USA will continue...

Archived