Beijing crispy duck with hot pancakes?

sonic

I have a serious craving for Beijing crispy duck with hot steamed pancakes. They're served with hoi sin sauce, sliced cucumbers and spring onions.

You take one of the small thin pancake from the hot basket, add some thin sliced duck, shredded cucumber and spring onion with a little of the piquant hoi sin sauce before rolling and savouring.

Really wonderful. :p

Where can you find this dish in Bkk?

Also, I'm from England where the majority of the Chinese are Hong Kong Cantonese so the food is mostly Cantonese style which is great! I've found the Chinese food in Bkk to be quite different, where are the good Cantonese style restaurants?

Cheers!!!

Oh, I just thought I'd add that the proper way to have Beijing duck with pancakes is when the duck has been seasoned and soaked in a spiced sauce for a while before being roasted over apple wood.

The duck ought to be sliced in a special way, the crispy skin to be had with the pancakes with the majority of the meat and skin to be made into a soup which is served later in the meal.

A Chinese chef told me this.

Crispy aromatic duck is when the duck is fried whole. The meat is then shredded off the bone. You have this meat with the pancakes in the same way.

They're both really delicious but the latter seems to be more available - in the UK Chinatowns anyway.

Here is an idea...Have a Thai person write out the name of this dish, and a Chinese person as well, maybe a few dishes...go to a place in Yaowarat (Chinatown in BKK) and ask a promising looking restaurant if they can make that/these dishes, worked for me in Hong Kong.

FWI, I have a good recipe for Peking Duck, easy to make, basically, the duck is scalded in seasoned water (Sherry, scallions, ginger, honey) for maybe a minute of so, then dried and left in the fridge over night to blister from the scalding, this is what makes the skin crispy. Next day, the duck is roasted (apple or alder woodfire would be good) and then served as you said...really good, easy to make! The food shop on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 15 has good duck dishes, is it just me, or is that place getting pricey?

the dish is called in Thai: pet yang beijing (the thais pronounce this like "pakking") and in chinese (mandarin): Beijing kao ya

you get this in many chinese restaurant. many of the 4 star hotels up have chinese restaurants.

some other (and maybe better) recommendations:

Sukhumvit Soi 33/1 (the soi after villa with robin hood and bull's head in it) had a small chinese restaurant after 100 meters on the left called Tidbit treasures; they serve this dish as well as dim sum, chicken dishes, shark fin etc. hardly any farang inside

Shangarila restaurant in china town at Yaowarat road (there are two other shangarila restaurants in soi thanya (japanese patpong) and close to sofitel silom

joke club on suk soi 11 in swiss park hotel 200 meters on the right. i am not sure whether they have Beijing duck, but they have chinese duck and chicken dishes as well as dim sum and joke

Another good place is Chand Phen restaraunt on Rama IV Road, just about opposite Lumpini Boxing Stadium.

The place has been there for many decades and is famous for it's Kai Yang, but basically you can get that anywhere.

They serve the Peking Duck skin first and ask you what you want to do with the meat and bones, usually it's either made into a soup, fried in garlic and pepper or with bean sprouts - otherwise you can just take it home and give it to your dog. The skin is by far the best part of the dish - the meat is very much a letdown after that, wherever you go.

They also have Moo Han - Suckling Pig - which in most places you have to order in advance but Chand Phen has it available straight from the menu.

Good Dim Sum at lunchtime too and an excellent variety of other Chinese and Thai dishes.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Archived