Global Travel Insurance

Solomick

Hi

Anyboard members know of any company doing good travel/health insurance for long term.

I have looked for ones from the UK were I am still registered as living but all the policies I find want you to start and finish your journey in the UK. This is no good for me. I need a insurance that will cover me worldwide and allows you to start and stop your journey from any location. Basically a insurance policy that is cover for where ever you are and however you got there.?

Any nods in the right direction, Cheers. :beer:

There are plenty on the web. The one I am using is Travel Insurance Direct here in OZ. $340.00 a year cover is for 38 days leisure and 90 days business. The best thing to do is just do a search and send of for a few quotes. Most have a questionare so they can tailor a policy to your needs.

Tried the web already, spent hours combing through all the small print. A lot of policies are for nationals only. Then like the policies I have looked at say "your journey must start and end in UK" even the ones I have looked at in the US or Europe are the same. I can't seem to find one that is just insurance, medical/travel that covers you no matter where you are and how you got there. The problem I have is I am British but only spend about 6 days there per year, visiting the folks, checking the house, opening mail and bank manager. I base myself out of Holland, mainly due to the fact I do most of my work for a Dutch company. But I am not Dutch so getting a policy in the Nederlands is the same problems I am getting from the UK. When at work I have no problems the employer has to cover all medical, but like now I am in Angola and will leave for Thailand direct, this confuses the insurance companies and also a lot of the countries I work in you are advised not to travel there by the foriegn Office so this would make most policies invalid because your journey started in a country you where not insured for in the first place.

I was wandering if any other board member was in the same boat and had some sort of solution.

I would be getting the insurance from whichever countries passport you are travelling on. As far as understanding the finer points unless you're going to hand it over to your lawyer, they're not written in a way which is easy to understand.

• 3 months later...

bupa-international.com don't care where you live as they charge the same yearly premium globally as long as you exclude the US!

then you're covered wherever you are & whatever you do again except US unless you choose to include that.

some GBP650 yearly for the cheapest option.

I have Europ assistance out of Belgium, 140 euro covering medical expenses upto 1.250.000 euro, plus repatriation etc, valid worldwide for travel not exeeding 180 days.

The have several websites in many countries. Not sure for uk.

Please Yahoo-el, we stopped Goo-ing here...

American Express Card has medical insurance for US $75.00 per year. But, limited in time coverage. One has to book airline flight with AMEX card - and duration is only for, I think, 45 days per trip. I have no idea if this is offered in every country.

As I stated before, it covers the transportation of deceased body back to home country. A hefty expense, that I worry about constantly.

Archived