Satellite internet?

I heard that one of the ISPs - I think it is either a Shin sub (loxinfo) or True - is offering satellite access to the internet. I also heard the bandwith and speed to international sites is not all that great because everything goes through a land based connection point and there is no way to avoid this bottle neck.

(I am not a techie, so apologies if I don't use the right terms?)

Does anyone know anything about this? Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gadfly,

I helped setting up such a connection here in germany once. The bottleneck is always the upload channel. This is the channel where you send data to the internet, like the info you want to surf to nanaplaza. Then the data will come to you through the satellite connection (usually quite fast), but your computer will send acknowledge packets through the landline again to tell your ISP you received the data without error. So surfing might be a little slower than with other broadband connections, but much faster than with an analog modem that uses the landline in both directions.

If you intent to upload lager files to the net, like pictures, then they will go through the landline and this will go slow. Downloading is much faster.

If you are online for long hours you better order a flatrate for your landline call to the ISP. Additional, if this is your only line then you can't do phonecalls while surfing.

On a side note: I have a digital satellite card in both my computers. Not to surf, but to receive digital satellite TV on my computer.

So when install sky-dsl and the right hardware and software you can watch TV while not surfing. Will depend on the hardware your provider will sell with the package.

GADFLY, what your talking about is iPSTAR, very different from traditional VSAT installations anywhere else in the world, and interestingly the biggest commercial satellite ever launched and only pure IP satellite.

What this means it's much cheaper to use for internet than anything else over satellite until DVB-S2 comes out in voolume later this year, which, steals quite a bit of technology from iPSTAR.

NOW - you can get it from 12 different companies who license the technology and service from the TOT.

JASMINE

SAMART

SHIN BROADBAND

CSLoxinfo

I am pretty sure True are NOT one of them but could be wrong.

You can also get it from TOT directly.

You expect to pay 1500 for 256 connection, expect a half second delay in VOIP.

15 000 Baht installation.

DOG

• 1 month later...

Hmmmmm......

It turns out that the developer that is building my house in Udon Thani, who kept telling me that the telephone lines were due in a few weeks (same story for several months now) forgot to mention that there are no telephone numbers (and thus no ADSL connections) available in that part of town.

Who is providing satellite coverage up around Udon Thani?

Archived