Satellite internet?

It is, in fact our first site using the system is a tiny village about 120 kms ffrom Udon, near Sawan Dan Din.

You can get a good connection for about 3 - 4000 baht a month depending on the contract,

I would suggest using Jasmine, or you can rebuy under me :) I am a bulk purchaser. (Note to KS Please excuse self promotion, as you now any profit goes back to the village)

It is a ok system, but I would sugest buying from Jasmine or CS, not SAMART, I spent last 2 days last week inspecting sites in stalled in the South and not good network under the SAMART package.

DOG

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been keeping my ear to the ground regarding wireless connections and this is what the picture looks like to me. The people who have IPSTAR are constantly pulling their hair out over it. Even when the satellite uplink is working which isn't all that regularly, I guess the ISP's take the liberty to funnel everyone through a very small bandwidth pipe that can't handle the load. IPSTAR support is horrendous and when you have an outage their strategy is to just ignore you until it goes away or many days pass. The dish needed is quite large and requires a concrete foundation. The wave length selected is such that it absolutely WILL go down every time it rains which in LOS as you know can be every single day for months on end based on the season and where you are. Another problem is lag due to bouncing everything back and forth over a distant satellite. Trying to use it for VOIP, gaming, VPN or other such things is reported by users as impractical.

Based on what I have read, it seems if you don't have a telephone line, use GPRS now and pray for WiMax which is currently being tested around Chiang Mai, Roi Et, and Korat.

Neo got to agree with GPRS, as I have posted previously I use a Sierra Air Card with DTAC data account for the laptop when out and about. In most of metro BKK and along the eastern seaboard (Sri Racha down to Rayong) I am getting EDGE connection which is 256 Kbps compared to 56 Kbps (40 in reality) GPRS offers.

650 THB / month for 140 hours 3 THB / hour after that.

GPRS / EDGE is not affected by atmospheric conditions, and also with the International Roaming I can fire the Lappy up wherever I may be and be online within seconds, no need to keep setting up new accounts, that being said though WiFi is also getting more widespread by the day.

Since I am home in BKK 50% of the time I tend to restrict my major data transfers to these times using my Jasmine ADSL connection.

Neo - we DO use it for VOIP - worls fine, apart ffrom the 600 millisecond delay that affects all satellite based technologies.

The system also iis now using spot beams, this means during rain the beam power is increased - we tested this in pretty heavy rain a few weeks back - no probs.

Support is hard I admit, but it is a new system, and some of the ISP, SAMART comes to mind have set up the system incorrectly I suspect, but it is getting better.

Wimax - you'll be waiting a long time as the spectrum is NOT licenced in Thailand! The trials are just that, trials by intel and others on "borrowed" bandwidth,

Note also the spectrum can also hace interferance,

in all, nothing beats cable to the home, just is, no one in rural thailand can afford that

DOG

Wimax - you'll be waiting a long time as the spectrum is NOT licenced in Thailand! The trials are just that, trials by intel and others on "borrowed" bandwidth,

So why are high profile companies bothering to invest in all the hardware, setup and testing in already chosen key market segments? Surely they already know they will get the band allocated. You wouldn't do that kind of thing if it was going to technically infeasable, and you wouldn't do it now unless it would become realistic in the near term.

IPSTAR...The system also is now using spot beams, this means during rain the beam power is increased - we tested this in pretty heavy rain a few weeks back - no probs.

What activates the high power setting and is this the transmit side, receive side, or both? I have visions of this Thai guy snoozing at a desk with a big switch like the commercial guy at UBC ;)

Re WiMax - they are hoping they'll get the ok, but like many things, TIT, so good luck while they wait! WiFi is still illegal in thailand outdoors, go figure? how do you stop it NOT being outdoors? So they turn a blind eye, but spectrum in Thailand is NOT regulated along internaional lines as in western countries, what in other countries is "Public" spectrum is not here.

iPSTAr - Hmmm - your kinda right on that one, depends on the weather and a person at HQ, not perfect, NOT ground reciever initiated

DOG

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at IPStar (in particular Jasmine and CsLoxinfo per Nervous Dog's recceomendation

Reading the web sites, it looks like both Jasmine and CsLoxinfo connect via the USB port. That would mean that they need a USB driver, and that would probably mean that we can't connect it to our Macintosh computers.

Is there an IPStar service that provides IP over Ethernet?

If not, does that mean that I would have to buy a PC and get it set up as a router?

Does anybody know of a consultant (preferably in or near Udon Thani) who could set this up for me?

BTW, is CsLoxinfo's Star Express service two-way, or does it require a landline for the uplink?

Archived