Girlfriends and Money

It seems that every trip I take to LOS I tell myself to not fall in love and it seems that after every trip I am in contact with some sweet young thing for about 3 weeks and then I come to my senses. Actually that is usually about the amount of time it takes for them to start asking for money and for me to say "no - bye bye". This time was different because the woman in question is a non-BG living in Chiang Mai. She is a beauty contest consultant and her last client won 2nd place in Miss Thailand. We first met 2 years ago and although she was anxious to marry right away (she wants to live near her sister who is living in the US near me) it was all way to fast for me and I walked away. We stayed in touch and last month had a reunion in Bangkok and Chiang Mai that was pretty spectacular. So sure enough I am calling her on the phone and we are making future plans and everything seems great. Then last week she brings up the subject of money. Although she is clearly anxious about her current situation what she asks about is if she comes to stay with me in the US (she has already had one tourist visa to the US) she will not be working and she will not be able to pay her Mother the usual amount she gives her each month and so what can we do about that. It is 15,000 Bht per month (which comes out to 500 Bht per day... hmmm... I wonder what I could buy for that in BKK....) Since she will not be coming here for about 5 months this is a pretty premature question I think. So I believe she is really fishing for financial assistance now. Although I like this girl very much I really do not want to start sending her money. Part of me is even suspicious of being scammed here, although she seems the least likely person to do that (those are the ones who scam the best...). The timing is unfortunate because we just past the 3 week mark which is when the BGs always start asking for money. I don't like it!

Have you guys given non-BGs money for their family before marriage and before living together?

Sailor

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We first met 2 years ago and although she was anxious to marry right away (she wants to live near her sister who is living in the US near me)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This doesn't bode well for the future.

15000B per month, what about the other sister how much is she sending?

15000 is a lot of money in Thailand particularily away from the Tourist areas.

Yes, I thought it was alot also. She does make good money as a consultant and lives at home that is why she pays her Mom. But I still thought it was pretty high. I agree it does not bode well. I am having major reservations. Not to mention I just met this hot J-girl here at home...

If I'm not mistaken, a US visitor's visa is only good for a month. I could be wrong though. That wouldn't require but one month's support. On the other hand, if she came on a K-1, fiance' visa, the length of stay is undeterminate therefore requiring monthly installments to the folks back in LOS. If she did come on a K-1, why couldn't she work? Provisions of that type of visa allow that almost immediately.

No, the tourist visa is for 3 months with a single entry provision. She cannot work under that visa. We have thought about the K-1 but it takes longer to get. I may bring that up as an option for her so she could work and see what she says.

A friend of mine married a Khmer girl that had a sister in the states, after a short while of being in the states on her honeymoon(on a tourist visa) she went to visit her sister and then refused to return to her husband and has remained in the States living with her sister and her husband, she is working, there are legal moves to try to legitamise her position which are likely to succeed.

Never underestimate the knowledge the girls obtain via the grapevine of family/friends.

Particularily when it is infomation that is seriously to their advantage.

Sheesh I don't need horror stories like that one. One thing is for sure and that is that I am taking it slow and not making any legal commitments any time soon. I am still of a mind to stay single a long time.

The figure she is asking for is huge, absolutely huge, the salary of a receptionist in Bangkok is about 5000 baht

Take the monthly paycheck for a receptionist in the US, about $1800 dollars is a conservative estimate.

Would an American girl be expected to pay her mother $ 5400 dollars a month

Please, please don't be taken in by her greed.

Good luck

As a Thai,I working and also give mom some of my income not to support my family but I take it my responsibility to do that so. My parents both working and I gave mom 5000 bahts per month.plus we living in BKK ,the cost of living must be expensive than north,for me 15,000 bahts per month is mean I have to earn 50,000-60,000 atleast .Hey what 's job for Thais could pay that much if you are young and just graduated from Univ or just a office girl

Archived