Girlfriends and Money

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course it's too much, if you have been in thailand for a few times, you will probably now that not a lot of people in thailand earn more then 10.000 baht a month. An average teacher, is lucky with 10.000 baht, while a police-man earns 7 or 8.000. My girlfriend who is just graduated on the university earns now 6000 baht full-time. So, you can guess that 15.000 baht is a lot of money in thailand.

succes,

mischa.

Last I heard he was divorcing her.

When he tried to get INS to deal with it he was basically given the brush off by them.

Maybe he shouldn't divorce her though, it'd stop her marrying again in the states???

Bloody hell, not many people in Bangkok make 15,000 Baht/month these days, and hardly anybody does so upcountry. Sailor, tell your girl-friend that you think 5,000 Baht a month is enough for her mother and if she then walks away, good riddance - it might spare you a lifetime of exploitation, a never-ending nightmare. Remember that Thais are willing to do anything for their parents, even it it means sucking the last drop of blood out of their spouse. As Thais always say, you can have many husbands/wives but only one mother and father!

I don't believe for a split second that your girl-friend is able to send 15,000 Baht a month to her mother. The fact that she's not a bar-girl doesn't necessarily mean anything for her integrity - there's a zillion mercinary women out there and living off some gullible sucker is the best thing that could happen to them and their extended families.

As a rule, never pay money to a girl-friend's/wife's parents; give her an allowance and tell her to pay them out of that.

Still, Sailor, if I were in your shoes I'd probably already done a runner. The signs are ominous. But then, everybody should think and learn for themselves ...

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Ever hear this smokie tune, it kind of sums it up.

I think these girls are artists at getting the max from us. they seem to know we have different ( better ?) values then they do, and play upon them:

For A Few Dollars More

Smokie

Rich girls, she buys her dreams

It's a rich world behind the scenes

Green eyes, they tell it all

The more she takes, the harder they fall

Now she ain't easy, she ain't tough

She's had it good, but then she's had it rough

And I guess it dont't come too much

But all she's got, she ain't got enough

So she'll cry just a little for a few dollars more

She'll lie just a little like she's done it before

She'll take it, she'll fake it, for a few dollars more

She'll show you her heart,

Then she'll show you the door

You know she'll die just a little for a few dollars more

Even fly just a little like she's done it before

Then She'll show you the door

Strange things can happen to you

When you got so much, you got nothin' to do

Oh, how d'you know

How'd you get there, when there's no where to go

So you wonder, just what she'll do

She's never known love, but then she's never known you

And it's true that those sad green eyes

Are so full of questions, are so full of lies

And she'll cry just a little for a few dollars more

She'll lie just a little like she's done it before

jai mai dee

Hey spirit_of_town_hall ,lol

Yes, I am a Thai girl,and yes 15,000 for me is too much to pay for mommy in this case I mean I can't give her that much.Mom never ask me how much my salary,never expect how much I have to give etc.. 5,000 is ok.Don't you think so?

Originally posted by oo7:

"5,000 is ok.Don't you think so?"

That's exactly the right amount, quite reasonable by Thai standards. When a falang comes in the picture, expectations often go completely out of control. Since we spend a lot of money by Thai standards, most people think we're filthy rich; they haven't got a clue what say the average income is in the US, UK, Germany or whatever. OK, many of us will earn way over the average, but nevertheless, we're not Bill Gates.

In India, people often ask me if my government has sent me on a holiday there. They think that our money grows on trees. Many Thais have similar misconceptions. Remember most of all one thing, Sailor: In a true loving relationships there is more giving than taking. If someone asks you right away to pay an exorbitant sum to her mother, I fear there will be much more taking. I have a strong suspicion that woman loves your purse more than your pants - and the guy inside of it.

Archived