Girlfriends and Money

Originally posted by spirit_of_town_hall:

"Where I come from we do not give our mom and dad money anyway, unless they have nothing."

I am a grown-up man with a very good income. When I fly back home, my middle-class parents, aged 76 and 81, ask ME, if I want any money!!! Well, maybe they still think I'm a bum ...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My parents always asked me ,If i want any money.Unfortuately sometime i do spent too much on my trip to NY frown.gif" border="0

BTW 5,000 baht could not get them richer anyway.

Originally posted by oo7:

"My parents always asked me ,If i want any money .... BTW 5,000 baht could not get them richer anyway."

Khun oo7,

you must be from a privileged, well-to-do family, one of the lucky few. Farang rarely meet people like you, for reasons that you and us, those who have been here a long time, are very well aware of. The majority of Thai women/girls see a farang as a lucky ride to the promised land ...

Asking for 15K baht says to me the woman is thinking 100% like a Thai who has heard all the stories about the dumb Farang.

My ex earnt 60 to 80K a month in a very good job, and she gave her mother 5K a month and a place to live, but her mother bought the majority of food with this money for 4 people. Like everyone else has said, your case has scam written all over it.

Yes, I thought it was alot also. She does make good money as a consultant and lives at home that is why she pays her Mom. But I still thought it was pretty high.

Hi,

Perhaps (and perhaps not)you should not underestimate how much bargaining affects daily life here. White lies seem acceptable negotioating a favourable outcome, even amongst partners, at least in my experience. I think you've got realize she may be looking for 5000 Baht or so. Reason she's asking for 15 might be she's expecting some bargaining anyway. It still happens to me and I still find myself in positions where I take demands and request *way* too serious. Sounds a bit weird to have to bargain with your own long-time GF or wife but it seems part of intercultural relationships. In your case I would try and not get too upset and simply offer something you consider reasonable. I have little doubt it will be accepted with a smile. wink.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by mischa28:

Of course it's too much, if you have been in thailand for a few times, you will probably now that not a lot of people in thailand earn more then 10.000 baht a month. An average teacher, is lucky with 10.000 baht, while a police-man earns 7 or 8.000. My girlfriend who is just graduated on the university earns now 6000 baht full-time. So, you can guess that 15.000 baht is a lot of money in thailand.

succes,

mischa.

well done mischa- it's as well to remind ourselves every so often of the relative value of a B-R-A-I-N in a society- a teacher earns thb 10,000- i didn't know that, but i would have figured it out at a guess - if society becomes too distorted in its relative values, that teacher is gonna give up her day job and start doing tips in the bar- well, at least she would think it unfair in the disparity- so, it is incumbent upon all of us, to pay accordingly- not too much- a lot of the culture of corruption in SEA is traceable to thoughtlessness on the part of europeans who didn't appreciate that the amounts they dispenced to persons just doing there job, as a kind of quasi- charity, actually encouraged an open palm approach to life, and leading to corruption-

this is much less a feature of ex-british colonies, because we were, and hopefully still are, skin flints, cheap skate charlies, unsentimental pussy takers-

jOa

Update:

I pressed her on the amount and she backed-up her claim. She has made big baht in lump sums in her job in the past few years. She is an only daughter. Her sister as I referred to her is actually her cousin. They call each other sister but they are actually cousins, my mistake for writing it that way in my first post. Since she is the only daughter she is trying to keep up with her cousin and their family which has 3 kids paying their parents. She did open the negotiating window by saying if I was not happy about the amount we could talk to her parents. She did not refute the salary comparison of 15KBht but said it had started out of her lump earnings a few years ago. So now I have to keep her parents in the fashion to which they are newly accustomed! So is she worth it? I don't want to be a sucker. So far I have not given her any money, including when we were together last month in BKK and Chiang Mai other than buying dinner a few times. So I am way under average for what I have spent on her so far, since she is not a BG and has lived in Chiang Mai all her life. So at this point I can make some decisions and have no $$ damages. Ironically I also met on this last trip a woman from Angel's Disco that I spent a lot of time with and have since been emailing and she has not even mentioned money yet! So the GF asks for money and the freelancer does not! What do you make of that?

Sailor

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor:

Update:

So the GF asks for money and the freelancer does not! What do you make of that?

Sailor

that YOU ask the freelancer for $$$, and pass it on to the gf (less the cost of a singha)- may be you get to keep both, since the freelancer will value you as someone she's invested in, the the gf will value you as an investment!

jOa

Archived