Adding to XP right click menu?

On my desktop in BKK, I have added "Edit with Photoshop" to the right click menu when I right click on a JPG. I cannot remember how I did it (since I cannot find an option to do this in Photoshop CS2, I musta done it). Can anyone help me?

Regards,

SD

suadum,

like expat said, during install Photoshop asks which extensions to associate with the prog.

However the old and proven way to changing file type associations is either in Windows Explorer right-click on the file, open with..., search for the program and check to always use the program.

Other way is in Windows Explorer, Tools (or extras?), Folder options, file types. Here you can manage the assiciations. Sometimes it's not enough to point to the program but also neccessary to add parameters to the program call. This can be done there.

"Always open with this program"...That will make it open with Photoshop by default when double clicking on the file. I do not want to do that.

If Photoshop does this automatically, then why did it not do it on this install?

Regards,

SD

' "Always open with this program"... That will make it open with Photoshop by default when double clicking on the file. '

Well, not if you choose another program than Photoshop. Then this program will open when you double-click.

No idea how the association came onto your computer. Don't think anyone can tell you even with access to your desktop.

Only know it's no big deal to associate jpegs with another program.

SD,

You do this by creating a shortcut to the app to your 'sendto' folder.

Find this in C:\documents and settings\username\sendto

I always put 'notepad' in there.. handy.

This assumes you've not moved your profiles folders from documents and settings.. but you get the gist.

Actually that doesn't really answer your question does it.. but its another way of doing something similar!

To answer your question -

*bring up Explorer - Tools - file options.

*Go to the 'file type' tab.

*scroll down to 'jpg' and highlight it

*Click 'Advanced'

This gives the context menu for this specific file type.

To add (arbitrarily, and uselessly) Notepad to this list, do the following:

*Click 'New'

*Under 'action' type 'Open with &Notepad...' (the '&' signifies that the following letter is underlined, for Alt-letter selction of the item, if you're a Keyboard Shortcuts whore like me)

*Under 'Application used to perform action' type Notepad.exe

*OK

*OK

*Close

Test it! Right click a Jpg file and you'll have a useless 'Open with Notepad...' option!

Lather, rinse, repeat, until you have as many context menu items as you like!

Hope this helps. :)

Archived