Driving Bkk to Chiang Mai

MadStockBroker

driven this several times, fastest was less than 7 hours non stop (incl. in Bangkok to/from Sukhumvit). there is a 2 line expressway all the way along through Nakhorn Sawan, Kamphaeng Phet, Tak, Lamphun, Chiangmai.

the road is pretty good with some exceptions (Bkk-Ayuttaya for example due to heavy use of overloaded trucks). any detour through Sukhothai, Pitsanulok or Lamphang will add a lot of time and some with pretty lousy roads.

If you drove it in 7 hours I am glad I was not with you. Must have put the Thais to shame. I've driven to Tak several times and it's a 5 hour trip averageing 100 - 120 kmh. I've driven Chiang Mai to Tak several time and that also is a 4-5 hour trip same speed. Either you know a good shortcut or your a complete lunatic behind the wheel. :o

if you had 4-5 hours from Tak to Chiang Mai you probably went through Lampang or even worse you took a detour to Sukothai or somewhere else. Tak to Chiang Mai is only 265 km and Bangkok to Chiang Mai total 696 km according to my map. as it is all double line expressway no problem to drive permanently between 100-120 kmph. so if you get smooth out of town and into town 7-8 hours is no problem.

Your probably right. As I've never done the BKK to Chiang Mai trip adding them together does not give a very accurate measurememt. You may be a good driver after all. Will try it one days. The other thing is timing. I forget about the traffic sometimes.

Archived