Thai's obsession with food?

steffi

So my wife has two sisters and nearly everyday they will speak to their mother on the phone after work and there's always a long conversation about who's eaten and what they ate or what they'll be eating and did you eat dinner yet etc etc. This pisses me off no end to hear this incredibly repetative conversation every day about food. Also note that if my wife doesn't eat her dinner on time all hell breaks loose. Like what the fuck is so important to Thai's about food?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO

This comes from the Chinese influenece.

The Chinese has many years of the prople starving, so it is very important for them to be able to offer food to someone.

I see this in Thailand.

The Thais eat, like all the time!

I can not, or at least do not or mt waist would be the size of the moon very quickly :D

I think ( from experience) it may have somethig to do with actual thai food.

most thai food not really that nutritious, sometime with sugar in it, lots of carbs ( noodles) it satisfies quickly,but "wears off" all of a sudden ( especially if sugar tolerence is an issue)

so eating frequently ( and on schedule) is important

Guest lazyphil

combine the obsession with food and ghosts as we did the other night and its a recipe for an interesting evening .... no thai food though ::

http://www.cambridgeparanormal.co.uk/cambghosts.html

<<Ferry Boat Inn Holywell

The Ferry boat inn reputedly one of the oldest inns in the country and one of the most famous of the haunted inns of Cambridgeshire, stands in the small village of Holywell close to the banks of the river Ouse. A local girl by the name of Juliet Tewslie fell in love with a local woodcutter by the name of Tom Zoul. Tom neglected Juliet and in her despair hanged herself in approx. 1078 on 17th March. Her body was cut down and buried where she had committed suicide at the cross-roads close to the ferry crossing of the river Ouse. It is reported that her lover Tom marked the spot of her grave with a large slab of granite over which the old ferry boat inn was later built. The tombstone of granite can still be seen in the floor of the inn to this day.

Reputed past sightings have included:

The evening of the 17th March each year is said to bring Juliet rising from her grave in the ferry boat inn at the stroke of midnight.>>

Looks like I'll have to book a table for the 17th March!!!

At one time my wife were a bit moody and down and said she missed Thailand.

I put on my best 'conserned and sympatetic' face and said, there there I understand you missing your family and friends ....

She looked at me and said .. family .. what? I miss the food.

There you go :)

I'm not talking about the eating per se I'm talking about the conversation that follows.... I don't know why the first question when any Thai speaks to another is did you eat yet, what did you eat, was it delicious etc etc. This is the typical conversation around dinnertime whenever a Thai speaks to a close family memeber. For me if I'm talking to my father I rarely ask him whether he's eaten dinner yet and whether it was delicious or not. I do think this is probably a tendency associated with Thai women than men though but I still find it nausiating to say the least.

Lazyphil

Sorry to jump off topic

Have you ever heard of/been to the crooked house pub in Dudley?

http://www.strangestbooks.co.uk/page6.html

My Dad took me there once as a young fella... an amazing place, one big natural optical illusion. You can put a beer bottle flat on what looks like a downhill slanted table, and it will roll uphill. Also said to be haunted (but thats just a bolt on to add to the mystery)

Spot on khunsanuk. As one famous quotation goes, "A bore is a man who, when you ask him how he is, tells you." Just as we don't expect a meaningful reply to the question 'How are you?' so Thais probably don't expect a meaningful reply to 'Have you eaten?' It's just a social nicety that is very common in Korea too and probably other east Asian countries.

Archived