Can they do that?

Flashermac

Australia mulls car smoking ban

By Phil Mercer

BBC News, Sydney

Authorities in Australia's most populous state, New South Wales, are to consider banning smoking in cars.

A parliamentary inquiry will look at the effects of passive smoking on passengers, particularly children.

Supporters of the proposal have admitted, however, that enforcing such a ban would be difficult.

Smokers in Australia have already been squeezed out of bars and restaurants, as well as some beaches and most other public places.

Now Fred Nile from the Christian Democratic Party has drawn up a private member's bill that makes cars the next target.

His idea will be investigated by a parliamentary committee.

The plan appears to have the support of the state government.

A spokesman said that tough action should be implemented to stop the small number of irresponsible people who smoked around youngsters in their cars.

There is, of course, the tricky issue of enforcement.

Ministers have conceded that applying any ban would be difficult.

Similar laws have been proposed in parts of the United States and Germany, but were rejected on privacy grounds.

The New South Wales government said there would have to be far more public debate before any new measures were brought in.

This type of smoking ban has been rejected by the state parliament on two previous occasions.

Supporters of the legislation have argued that research into the dangers of passive smoking has proved that change is urgently needed.

They do in Los Angeles , but not for health reasons , some of the canyon roads to and from the beach's and the city , no smoking , due to the idiots that flick their cigs out the window , they roll to the side of the road , then the passing cars fan it into a brush fire , then later on CNN you see million $ houses being burned to the ground... ::

Bada :banghead: Bing

Have you seen the "happy family" photos on packs of Thai cigarettes? Maybe that's where the Thai govmt got the idea. The ironic -- or idiotic -- thing is that the government owned Thai Tobacco Monopoly makes the cigarettes! Sort of like, "We don't want you to smoke. But if you are going to smoke, buy your cancer sticks from us."

:dunno:

Just another case of fucking idiots thinking that they know what is best/harmful for others. Always some assholes trying to force their viewpoints on others. Yeah, I can see reasons for banning smoking in cars: high fire hazards in some areas (as mentioned above); people tend to get distracted lighting up and flicking falling ashes off their clothes--can cause accidents.

Look, how many hours do parents spend with their kids anyway? Especially in a car? The kids are gonna be exposed to a lot more "second hand smoke" at home than they ever will be in a car. And I don't think the nutcases can yet prove that kids are exposed enough in a car (even over 20 years) to warrant this intrusion. And, what about those drivers who don't have kids...or kids in their car. They supposed to have to abide by this insane idea?

Rant over.

P.S. I'm a former smoker, 4+ years since I last lit up.

HH

Nervous_Dog said:

Interesting LA does that, NSW has a terrible history of fires,

DOG

See if I get this right:

If you are NOT to smoke in cars you should NOT have butts and ashes in the ashtray. So you will.... ::

...flick your butt out of the window!! Makes sense! :doah: :doah: :doah:

MaW

Archived