Baht for nothing, TGs for free

Chillers

Anyone interested in jamming/forming a band in Bkk? I'm a bit of a guitar strummer/bass player.

I've only got my acoustic guitar here but if things got serious I'd get my equipment shipped over from Australia (guitar, amp, etc.). In Aus I jammed quite regularly and it's something I miss here - doesn't have to be serious.

Don't try doing anything that might be considered work unless you've got a work permit. A couple of years ago, some backpackers were busking in Phuket and got arrested for working illegally. Seems they smart mouthed the police though, not a wise thing to do. As a result, they got fined 50,000 baht each -- and were deported!

No problem with jamming for free. There used to be a jazz group that jammed once a week in Napoleon's Lounge on Patpong. Don't know what became of them after Napoleon's got moved out of there.

I may be interested. I play a mean 'Londons Burning'. I left my recorder at home but sure i could dig one up in BKK.

Sorry, crap joke. Why dont you try the jamming bars/pubs in BKK? Im sure there are plenty of guys that would like to hook up in an around these venues?

Thanks for that,

A few issues,

1) I don't have an axe here

2) My improvisation and thinking on my feet skills suck. For example, If I was in a war i'd be the guy running around in circles yelling incoherently and shooting random targets.

The first time I did a "blues jam night" I turned up with my entire band as a bass player. Unfortunately I hadn't tuned my bass, the PA they were using was super loud and I couldn't hear it properly. It was still half an octave out when the drummer started pounding away. Even over the mega loud PA I could still hear the crowd booing and screaming "get the fuck off stage!". hehe - on subsequent visits the bass was tuned prior to turning up.

Anyway, I'd be much more comfy jamming to a few prearranged songs on stage if that is possible. i.e. a few of us work some stuff out first and then go up on stage as a team. Not sure how it works here but I've had success in Aus using this method. As for being a guitar hero only expect simple lame arse hammer on/pull off style blues pentatonic solos from me as I can't shred for shit. Goatscrot can do the solos and twiddly bits - me caveman - me play rhythm.

LOL!

Having the cops show up would be a great compliment. This would mean someone was actually paying to hear me (us) play! I made more money asking people for a dollar to catch the bus one afternoon when I was 16 than I have in a lifetime of music.

But yeah - your advice is certainly valid.

Chillers,

You should go with the Nana/Gully's guys to Tokyo Joe's some Sunday evening. Good place and fun, with some good jammin' there as well. You'd enjoy this place I think. Bring your lady as well. She'd probably like the place too.

Also, why bother to ship your quality gear from Oz? Just buy a cheap Strat copy in BKK (plenty of music shops around--ask GoatScroat if you are looking for a good guitar to buy) and amps are decent and cheap here. (I bought a decent bass amp up here in Surin for like 6 or 7 thou baht. Great little amplifier. Brought my Jap Yamaha RB here from the states and it nearly got destroyed by the damn airlines idiots (It was in a nice hardshell Fender case as well!). I think I'll leave the '77 white on ivory Fender P-bass back in the states. Cheap enough to buy a decent guitar or bass right here to jam with. Really, for maybe 12,000 baht to 16,000 baht you can get a guitar and amp that'll work for what you need here. Not a real Strat and Marshall amp, but what the fuck, electronics gear here is cheap really. The Thais make a cheap P-bass copy here that does ok if you know how to adjust the neck and lower the strings and maybe file the nut down a bit for better action. Hundred USD for the bass, a hundred forty or so for a decent amp (100 watts-sufficient really).

Cent

Chillers said:

Anyone interested in jamming/forming a band in Bkk? I'm a bit of a guitar strummer/bass player.

......<snip>... In Aus I jammed quite regularly and it's something I miss here - doesn't have to be serious.

Hmmm...if needed, I can play a 'juice harp' :D

Archived